I'll work today, although the call-in line tells me I don't have to. I might want to buy some groceries next week, and if I don't get in at least three days, that gets difficult. And I'm really hoping for the opportunity to take Friday off. If this year is anything like last year, the extra days off will be few and far between starting in August.
If you want to read a brutally honest journal, check out On The Tip of My Wings; the last three days' entries will almost make you cry.
Cliff has had a bum knee for the past four days: I told him God was just letting him know how I feel all the time. Of course, God is liable to let me feel Cliff's pain one of these days... his arthritis is worst in his shoulder, from all his years of butchering and meat-cutting.
The fair is still on my mind; here are some of the free things the girls and I will enjoy:
• ADRIATIC SPECTACULAR BENGAL TIGER SHOW - Aug. 12-22. The only display of its type with multi-colored tigers: standard, white, golden tabby, and the extremely rare snow white tiger. Enjoy as these cats are lead through an intricate routine showcasing their beauty and athleticism, featuring the world's only high-jumping tiger.
• BUDWEISER STAGE - Aug. 12-22. Live music from up-and-coming performers, just south of the old Administration Building.
Weekdays at 3 & 6 p.m.; Sat. & Sun. at 2 & 5 p.m. unless otherwise noted
Aug 12-13 Hilljack
Aug 14-15 Bering Strait
• BUTTONS THE CLOWN - Aug. 12-22. For "Miles of Smiles," look for Buttons at our special contests at the Touchstone Energy Stage or cruising the grounds in his 1932 Roadster. • CHILDREN'S BARNYARD - Aug. 12-22. Bring the kids to see animal friends straight from the farm. Open 9 a.m.- 9p.m., South of Agriculture Bldg.
• COKE FAMILY FUN FEST, Aug. 12-22. Free family sports playground featuring baseball, basketball, football, and bungee run.
• EXOTIC ANIMAL PETTING ZOO - Aug. 12-22. 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., just north and east of the Coliseum
• EXTREME CANINES STUNT DOG SHOW, sponsored by Westlake Ace Hardware - Aug. 12-22. Watch these furry stars soar, spin, jump and fly! 11 a.m., 3 & 6:30 p.m. weekdays. Additional 4:30 p.m. show on weekends. Travis Fox (See also: Hypnomania) - Aug.19-22. Touchstone Energy Stage. Combining the mystic art of hypnosis with a comedic flair, this is a show for all ages. Dr. Fox is a certified hypnotherapist and a true entertainer.
• MA PA PA ACROBATS, sponsored by Subway - Aug. 12-22. Witness tumbling, contortion, dance, juggling, chair-balancing and a lot more in this high energy acrobatic show, and even learn a little about the culture and geography of Kenya.
• NEW FREE ENTERTAINMENT ATTRACTIONS - See MaPaPa Acrobats, Nerveless Nocks, Adriatic Spectacular Bengal Tiger Show, The Procrastinators, Travis Fox/Hypnomania
• NERVELESS NOCKS, sponsored by MO$T - Aug. 12-22. Witness the climb up the Swaypoles, a breathtaking aerial pole to pole exchange and an unbelievable headfirst free-fall back to the ground. Thrill to the daring Spacewheel, an aerial pendulum, the death-defying Skycycle, and watch the fearless stunt riders journey in the 17-foot steel Globe of Fear! PROCRASTINATORS, sponsored by Ditzfeld Transfer - Aug. 12-22. Experience fast and furious rhythmic fun when 3 outrageous drummers turn five-gallon water bottles, barstools, and pots & pans into musical instruments while jumping, sliding, twisting & stomping!
• PROFESSOR FARQUAR - Aug. 12-22. Gather 'round, as "the greatest one-man show west of the Mississippi" sets entertainment back more than a hundred years to the days of the old-time medicine show... with copious amounts of laughter, the best medicine of all! See the professor strolling through the fairgrounds or daily in the Mo-Ag Theatre. • SHOW ME MISSOURI FISH - Aug. 12-22. Live demonstrations at 1, 4 & 6 p.m.
• ZOO (See also EXOTIC ANIMAL PETTING ZOO) - Aug. 12-22. 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., just north and east of the Coliseum