Sunday, July 18, 2004

just rambling

I had a glorious three-hour ride yesterday morning, although it left me exhausted.  I felt as though I'd put in a day's work when I got home at 8 AM.  I took the camera, but I didn't get as many opportunities for great pictures as I usually do.  The sunrise was rather ho-hum.  Here's a picture I snapped of a Missouri Century Farm, though... that means the place has been in the same family for over 100 years.  Isn't it inviting?

My daughter and her family came, and stayed for dinner; I always expect them on weekends, since they live in a townhouse with noplace to turn the children loose.  I'm glad they live close enough that they can enjoy our 43 acres with us.  My sixteen-year-old granddaughter, Amber, spent the night here as is usual on weekends. 

Four years ago yesterday, I got my job at Kohls, which has absolutely changed my life!  I've been able to travel to so many wonderful places that I couldn't have afforded, had I not been working.  It wears me out, I'll admit; my feet, legs and knees protest constantly.  But so far the tradeoffs have been worth it.  I'm now 80% vested in my little 401K plan, too.  One more year to 100%.

Last night I climbed on Blue bareback and rode him around the yard and pasture.  It was the first time I'd ridden bareback since around the 4th of July, when firecrackers scared him and he tossed me off.  Sometimes I get the feeling he considers himself my babysitter, he's such a gentle soul.  Picture this 60-year-old, overweight woman getting on an upside-down five-gallon bucket, then struggling to pull herself onto a tall horse's back, using his mane to pull herself up with and kicking his flank on the way up.  If I were in his "horseshoes", I wouldn't allow such uncomfortable nonsense!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful old house! I need to ride Precious breback for a while. She needs the excerise and so do I.