Wednesday, July 7, 2004

teenage passions

Cliff got a call today from Arick's girl friend's mom today, and started to tell her off about waking me up in the middle of the night:  Then she dropped the bomb.  Not only are Arick and her daughter missing, but so is her (the mom's) car.  For some reason she seems to think they headed for Georgia.  Arick could be in big trouble for this, since he's 18 and his girl friend is only 16... and now he's stolen a car.  Well, there's nobody to bail him out if he lands in jail, and that may be a good thing.  (happy birthday to me)

On a brighter note, I received many lovely e-cards from Internet friends wishing me happy birthday; and Linda, a friend at work, brought cake for two of us who share this birthday. 

I think I figured out why being sixty is so depressing:  it's because I realize I don't have that much time left!  Especially quality time; I'm thinking about my mom's final ten years, and I don't think I want any of that kind of lingering-on.   What I have to do is make up my mind not to waste this day stewing over how little time I have left.  Maybe I should even start considering each day a bonus, from here on out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You are not old until you decide you are old." That is a quote made by my granny when she was in her 80's. She bowled in a league with ladies that were in their 30's and 40's. She was the top bowler. Regularly bowled 200+.
Happy birthday. May you have many more good ones in the years to come.
Celeste
htp://journals.aol.com/csandhollow/mydayandthoughts/

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment made above ("you're not old until you decide you are").  Especially you, Mo.  We expect better things of you now that you're 60.  More poems, more pics, more attitude, more travel.  You've got far too many friends to allow you to dwell on "old".  I know what it's like to consider each day a "bonus" day.  That's what us cancer survivers do all the time.  Maybe that's why age doesn't get to us.  It's a victory to see each sunrise.  As for Arick, oh brother.  What messes these young ones get into these days.  I pray that gals mom isn't bent on nailing him to the cross for a decision I bet both of them made.  I'll be praying for you all.  One more Happy Birthday before I sign off.