Saturday, July 31, 2004

the brevity of life, the certainty of death

This is Rooster; he passed from this life today.  I only met him once, but he was a wonderful friend to my son Jim, and I know losing him was like losing a family member for my boy.

Rooster was a redneck in every sense of the word:  he had an arsenal stashed away in his mobile home.  He had money hidden away around his house, but none in banks.  I hear he was good for a quickie loan, if a friend was in need. 

Although he was diabetic, Rooster chose to ignore all dietary restrictions.  Actually it wasn't the diabetes that got him in the end; I understand his liver failed as a result of his heavy comsumption of beer.

I know this Alabama/Georgia man's passing leaves a big hole in Jim's life.  May God rest his soul, and comfort my son in his loss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sorry.  especially when someone looks up to someone.   john

Anonymous said...

So sad. It is so hard to lose one's friends

Anonymous said...

To my Mother-in-law..
I want to thank you for being a wonderful mom to Jim, he hasnt seen this yet cause at the moment he is suffering from pink eye and in alot of pain i just gave him a 800 miligram tyenol so he will sleep. When he can see i will have him look at this great tribute to his friend. I know it will make him feel just as i did when i read it. I will miss rooster very much as will everyone who knew him. He loved lyndsay alot and always had a  lollipop waiting just for her, and for that i thank him, for making her feel special when we were visting him. Thank you for being who you are and caring for everyone  you know especially me.
                           Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your son's and everyone's loss. Paula