Monday, March 24, 2008

My sister, the winter Texan, is coming home soon



That's my sister, Maxine, with her late (wonderful) husband.

I got a call from Maxine this evening, and she's picked all the grapefruits off her trees and stuffed them into her car (many of them have MY name on them).

I have such wonderful memories of my sister.  She always had the most orderly life of anyone I've known.  You could count on things at her house to go according to routine.

I was telling Cliff this morning how Maxine and Russell never turned on their TV during the daylight hours.  Oh no, not until the six o'clock evening news.

In fact, on September 11, 2001, Maxine tells me, she and Russell didn't know about the World Trade Center disaster until they turned on the six o'clock news that evening.

"They did it like a discipline?" Cliff asked.

No, that isn't how they did it.  I'm sure Maxine and Russell never sat down and said, "We'll make a vow to not turn on the television until after six."

It wasn't like a rule.  When I spent my week there each summer, my nephew Larry and I watched TV during daytime if we chose to, and nobody objected.

It wasn't just the television routine that was so orderly, either.  At Maxine's house, you always knew supper would be a 6 P.M.  Always.  Supper would consist of meat, potatoes, and a veggie or two, followed by dessert.  Breakfast was usually cereal (lots of choices on the brands because Larry got to choose kinds he liked), and lunch was usually soup and a sandwich. 

At home with my parents, I snacked at will.  We seldom all sat down to a meal together.  That isn't a bad thing, it's just how we did it.  Mother worked days, Daddy worked nights.  We all scrounged for ourselves.  I liked that just fine.

But the schedule at my sister's house was something dependable, something I could count on that never changed.

Just like my sister.



----------------
Now playing: Kasey Chambers - Last Hard Bible
via FoxyTunes   



Tags:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked this entry.  Maxine sounds like a wonderful lady.  
Lori

Anonymous said...

Your sister Maxine sounds like a lovely and dependable lady. I too have a sister named Maxine who is ten years older then me. Paula

Anonymous said...

I hope ya'll have a wonderful time while she is here. Those grapefruit sound delicious. Helen

Anonymous said...

There is just nothing like having a sister.  I'm blessed with 2 of them and knowing that they are always there is a great comfort to me.  That grapefruit sounds delicious for sure.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

MOSIE WHAT A PRECIOUS SISTER YOU HAVE AND YOU BOTH LOOK LIKE YOU ENJOY EACHOTHER SO MUCH AND THAT IS WHAT FAMILY IS ALL ABOUT GOD BLESS YOU BOTH                                                    MARIA

Anonymous said...

MOSIE WHAT A PRECIOUS SISTER YOU HAVE AND YOU BOTH LOOK LIKE YOU ENJOY EACHOTHER SO MUCH AND THAT IS WHAT FAMILY IS ALL ABOUT GOD BLESS YOU BOTH                                                    MARIA

Anonymous said...

Ah Mosie, you bring back wonderful memories of how my mother's home was found ... Monday was wash day, Tuesday she ironed.  Dinner was at 6:00pm and we children watched cartoons on Saturday morning and didn't even think about turning on the TV during the week.   She had a routine and an orderly way about her ... like your sister.  

Anonymous said...

When is she coming?  I can't wait to hear about her visit and those wonderful fresh grapefruits   Vicki

Anonymous said...

I know you will be happy to see her. That is a great picture of you two sitting there together. Thanks for sharing the memories with us. I enjoyed reading about it all. We always had an orderly day like you say when I was growing up. Sometimes its just not like that around here at my house..but sometimes it is, when I can pull it together. There isnt anything on tv during the day anyway. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is a great picture of you two.  I strive for "orderly" but never quite make the grade.

Anonymous said...

I know you'll be glad to see her again.  (As well as those grapefruits)  I like order too.  It's those around me that doesn't care much for it.  LOL

Hollie

Anonymous said...

My home was like that as a child - no television during the day - not before dinner was done and dishes put away - 7 pm was the earliest the TV was on. It then stayed on until 11:30 pm 7 nights a week. Drove me nuts!

I am excited for you seeing your sister - she looks like a very happy woman :-)

xoxo