Saturday, March 29, 2008

It's getting really interesting around here

A few days ago I blogged about the nice man who was going to give us a break with the price of our septic tank; also the cost of a perk test, but we found out we don't have to have that, since we own several acres.

The next day Tom, a former boss of Cliff's, shot him a bid for all the work that needs to be done:  all the necessary digging, the septic tank, water lines, and pouring the concrete.  It was a good price, and it put the nice fellow whose calf I saved out of the running.  I'd include the figures, but I think Cliff would once again say, "Too much information."

So today a close neighbor who does this sort of work came over and underbid Tom by six thousand dollars.  The housing slump must be affecting people badly, because it seems everyone wants this job.

Tom wouldn't cheat us in any way; Cliff practically helped raise him back when he worked for his dad.  But he does have a tendency to take his time.  The guy across the road is ready to do the job immediately, and we know he'd get right in and do it and then be gone.  He and I have no fondness for one another (he once threatened to shoot my horse), but hey... I guess it's his work that counts, and he does do quality work.  He's the one who poured the floor of Cliff's shop in 1999.

Meanwhile, I just wish we knew how much money we'll have, so I'd know what to plan for.

Somebody just shoot me!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get a good deal..

Anonymous said...

Its always a lot of red tape to get anything done these days. Hope everything turns out for the best. Guess the suspense is kinda exciting though. Have fun. Paula

Anonymous said...

You call that interesting...I'd call it #*&^%$#!!!  My tax refund (and stimulus check) is already spoken for with new emergency needs.  grrrrrrrr

Russ

Anonymous said...

"Somebody just shoot me"?  How about the concrete guy?  Sounds like he's already offered!  LOL

Anonymous said...

I hope the bank gets back to you soon. They seem to be taking their sweet time about it!

Anonymous said...

moving and settling is just so expensive...a lotta bucks for this and a lotta bucks for that.  exciting though, huh?
Sonya

Anonymous said...

  Business is Business (whoops; almost wrote BS) ... sounds as tho you've made the most practical decision under the circumstances.
  My surfing is just so slow ... don't much ... it's so tedious.  When I come back to your Journal, you've done just so much.  Your life is certainly not dull!
  From the photo of the horse-for-sale: he looks fast, powerful, very comfortable, & perhaps a bit "determined".

LOIS

Anonymous said...

Was he serious about shooting your horse?!  I'd never trust him!

Anonymous said...

There is no way thet I would trust ANYBODY that threatened to shoot ANYTHING of mine!!! I thik I would talk to Tom again and explain the time frame that I wanted the worl to be done inand then draw up a simple contract.
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Be careful about people that make very low bids.  The contractor needs to be able to pay for material and you will want good material and needs to make enough money to pay his salary.  If the contractor can`t cover his costs he either will not finish the job or will upgrade his estimate.    Connie 7280

Anonymous said...

Oh wow what a tough decision!  It's nice to have cheaper but it's almost nicer to have faster!  lol  What to do!?  Oh I don't think I could pick the guy who threatened to shoot my horse! lol  I hold a grudge for a LONG time especially about my kids or animals!  

Anonymous said...

I am getting axcited for you!

Anonymous said...

Bang!?  Choices, choices, choices.  All so difficult and yet so important.  I know you're having fun through all of this!

Anonymous said...

yeah, I am this far behind again - but I bet you get it all worked out just in time!

xoxo