Monday, March 17, 2008

Guilty pleasures nobody understands

Cliff and I love a lot of the same music:  Johnny Cash; Waylon Jennings; Merle Haggard... you know, all those old country favorites.

But I have this wild side when it comes to music, a genre that Cliff doesn't understand.

So when he's not here, I listen to these:

Iris Dement

Woody Guthrie


John Prine


Ramblin' Jack Elliot

The Carter Family
(OK, Cliff might listen to them sometimes)

Floyd Westerman


Leadbelly

Trish Monaco.

And if Cliff comes in and catches me listening to any of these, he just shakes his head and says something about "caterwauling".  *shrugs*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you.  I'm honored. I feel like a teeny pebble amongst these mighty mountains.  I really like Iris Dement's website and her musical style brings me right back to my roots.  What do you think of Patty Griffin?  Dement reminds me of the country side of her. Wait. Griffin reminds me of the folky side of Dement.  Seems more appropriate to say.  

Anonymous said...

You wild and crazy gal !!  

I get lost in Peter,Paul and Mary, The Kingston Trio, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Ronnie Milsap, Kenny Rogers (Country stuff),and Johnny Cash.

From there I could go on forever..... with folks from the 60s, soloists and groups. From that era,  "Easy Listening" is my choice.
Of course, my all time favorite is Southern Gospel. I just LOVE music !!