Thursday, March 27, 2008

A meme

I found this meme over at "Where Life Takes Me'

"I am inspired by last night's episode of American Idol. Here's the scenario:

You are an amazing singer and have the opportunity to showcase your talent on TV. You must pick a song that was popular in the year you were born. What song do you pick and why?


OK. 1966...let's see. Going down the Top 100 list from that year, I pick: You Don't Have To Say You Love Me by Dusty Springfield

I like just about every song that was popular from the year I was born, so it wasn't an easy choice. I could just picture me singing that song and doing a pretty good job of it.

Your turn. You can blog it and leave a link here, or just respond in comments. Extra extra credit if you really SING the song and send me an MP3 or post yourself on YouTube."


That's what Becky said.  Hey, if I had her year, I could easily choose too.  It's the year I got married.

But I was born in 1944.  Good grief, do I know any of the hits of that year?  We were in the middle of World War II!

Well, I found a top 40 list HERE.

The only one I believe I know all the words to is "Mairzy Doats".

Oh, wait!  I know "Oh, What A Beautiful Morning".

And if I had the words in front of me, I could sing "Swinging On A Star".

Becky, if I decide to sing you one of those songs, I won't post it on my journal; because last time I did that, somebody told me I looked like Raggedy Ann.  However, I might think about sending you a link in Email.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
     I was born in 1944 too.  July 25th.  I think I will pick THE TROLLY SONG.  And only because I know the words.
Clang, clang, clang went the trolley,
Ding, ding, ding went the bell,
Zing, zing, zing went my heart strings,
>From the monent I saw him I fell.
Chug, chug, chug went the motor,
Bump, bump, bump went the brake,
Thump, thump, thump went my heart strings,
When he smiled I could feel the car shake
-----               I think every year had its bad ones, but at least its beter than what the kids are listening to today.      Marlene
       http://journals.aol.com/domsmom27/one-day-at-a-time

Anonymous said...

At first I thought you said YOU were born in 1966! LOL!  I guess I'm confused this week.
I wish you would sing here. I liked it. Don't listen to the jerks.
Pam

Anonymous said...

My year had lots of goodies to choose from .... 1939 .... I'm either "Off to see the Wizard" (I'd like a new 'brain' please, Mr. Wizard, with lots of 'courage' and 'heart' mixed in), or I'm "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", flyin' high, lol!   I wouldn't get good reviews if I tried to sing them, however!    Judy

Anonymous said...

You had a lot of great choices too...very few songs I didn't know/like.  I'll Be Seeing You!  That could have been the theme song for WWII.  White Christmas...classic.  I have the original Bing recording from the movie sound track.  It Had to be You. Love it!  Such good stuff. Thanks for playing!

p.s. it took many many years before I "got" the joke in "Mairzy Doats".  I'd never seen the lyrics spelled out. Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. LOL

Anonymous said...

My mom used to sing mairzy doats, LMAO! Such a silly song!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

How fun! Your so entertaining!