Sunday, October 3, 2004

Cliff's first ride on Blue; harvest-time and the death of summer

Cliff's favorite pastime has never been horseback riding.  He says it makes his legs hurt the next day, and he doesn't like the way horses can be so unpredictable.  But finally, at my urging, he took a little ride around our pasture.  Blue seems not to like men getting on him; he won't always stand still to let them get on.  But after moving over once and getting scolded by me, he let Cliff mount, and there were no problems.  Oh, they were neither one quite comfortable with one another, but they managed.

It was a perfect day for a ride!  The high was barely over sixty, the skies were blue, and the wind was calm.  While riding around at the local park, back near the woods I saw a very curious fox.  I took a picture, but he was so far back that you'd have to know what you were looking for to even spot him in the photo.  Here's what's going on all around me throughout the countryside; farmers combining corn:

When I step outside to let Mandy loose from her pen each morning, I can hear grain dryers running in the distance.  Summer is only a pleasant dream now... as perfect a summer as I've ever known.

No comments: