Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The Purpose-Driven Life

My son and his family left for Georgia this morning.  They'll arrive home late tonight, good Lord willing.  There are some enthusiastic eaters in my family, let me tell you.  Since last Thursday, I've made:  three apple pies; two Oreo Delights; one batch of Toll House pan cookies; and one brownie pudding.  Plus we've consumed two cakes my daughter and son-in-law made and brought, in honor of all the grandchildren's birthdays.  That's only the desserts!  (note to self:  next year, make two tater-tot casseroles if you intend to feed everybody).  What can you expect, though, when there are four teenagers in the group (note to self:  buy milk two gallons at a time, next time my son's family visits).

When you're used to cooking for two and metering out leftovers, it's difficult to remember how to cook for a large group.  I love to cook for people who love to eat, though.

I am not having great success with the fancy brace I got; a man from the company that makes them (Don-Joy) is coming Friday to see if I'm doing something wrong.  Meanwhile, I'm thankful that 800 mg Ibuprofen eases the knee pain a lot... I just have to limit how often I take it, since it doesn't always agree with my stomach.  My next appointment with the orthopedist is October 20.

Perhaps, in these rather distressing times (and during what, for me, is a depressing season) this series we're doing with the Church might be just what I need.  There's a devotional that goes along with "Purpose-driven Life" that gives one key thing to ponder each day.  Yesterday's ponder was, "It's not about me."  Today's is, "I am not an accident."  Because we had company yesterday, I played catch-up today.  My husband had good intentions of doing these exercises with me, but he's hard to pin down.  Tomorrow I'll see if I can catch him for a few minutes before he goes out to his shop, which is where he spends most of his waking hours till time to get ready for work in the afternoon.

It's been overcast and rainy for two days, and is supposed to remain so through Friday.  No horseback rides in weather like this, but I'll only appreciate riding that much more when it clears off.  I'm reminded of a poem I loved as a child:

 

THE RAINY DAY

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


The day is cold, and dark, and dreary
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.
 

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It   rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
And the days are dark and dreary.
 

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww, I'm sorry the "fancy brace" isn't helping you as it should, hope you get that fixed soon!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

Anonymous said...

Glad I started reading your blog. I saw it was an AOL feature. I, too, live in your area so it's good to have a neighbor blogger. I live on the Kansas side. Somehow I have enjoyed the past two days. I have had paperwork to do at home and then out to do errands. The leaves have changed over night, haven't they? Also, I was in a Don Joy walking boot, on and off for 3 years. (bad feet) so I empathize with you. These contraptions are most interesting, aren't they? Your pictures are wonderful. I especially like the one of your grandaughter with her pumpkin. Oh, and then the ones of your animals, well heck, I like all of them.  Anne  www.journals.aol.com/SaturdaysChild/

Anonymous said...

Boy, I hear you on this yucky weather, Mo.  It's no better over here on the Kansas side either.   It's had me down pretty bad.  It doesn't sound good about your knee.  Man, that stinks!  But I know the kids in town had to brighten your spirits.  I'd be amazed at the amount of food consumed, but I have son Mike and two teen girls raiding me constantly.  Don't you wish their brain would grow instead of their bellies?  lol  I'm still praying bout that knee.  Cya round kiddo.  

Anonymous said...

Try eating a piece of bread and a glass of milk with the meds. It helped me.

Anonymous said...

WE'VE BEEN BLESSED IN OHIO FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS WITH SUNSHINE.  I'M A CITY GIRL BUT HAVE ENJOYED READING YOUR JOURNAL.  THE RAIN IS SUPPOSED TO MOVE IN HERE LATE THIS AFTERNOON !  'ON YA'  -  MA

Anonymous said...

P.S.  I MEANT TO TELL YOU MY FRIENDS AND I DID A SUMMER BIBLE STUDY ON THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE - USING THE BOOK.  IT WAS WONDERFUL AND CERTAINLY GAVE US LOTS TO THINK ABOUT !!!  -MARAINEY