Thursday, October 7, 2004

My knee brace

Yep, that's it... the DonJoy Bledsoe II.  I'm wearing it as I type.  So far, the brace has put me in about ten times as much pain as arthritis does.  But I'm giving it every chance.  One thing makes me really angry:  My brace cost $1,250, of which the insurance paid 90%.  That would be fine, but if you click on the link above, you'll see the sale price is $735.  I'm sure the orthopedic shop that sold it to me made a tidy profit.

Another think I'm leery about:  I went to the shop to be fitted, straight from my doctor.  The lady there measured different spots on my leg and said the brace would be ready in three to five business days.  The next day, a fellow called and asked to come out and re-measure, which was fine.  He said according to their first measurements, I was too far gone for the brace to help (too knock-kneed, although that isn't the medical term).  He re-measured and said that ought to work.  Now, with the pain this thing puts me in, I'm wondering if he fudged on the measurements.  I'm sorry, but I don't have great trust in these folks.  And if it doesn't work out, you can bet I'll call and point out to them the difference between the price quoted online and the price I paid.

Now, on to happier things.  I have a busy day ahead.  It's 4:30 AM, and I already have two apple pies in the oven.  Cliff loves apple pie so much, he occasionally takes a picture of one, fresh out of the oven.

 

This morning the preacher is coming to discuss the "Purpose-Driven Life" series coming up at Church.  Cliff's sister from Wisconsin is in the area, and she's coming to visit today.  And sometime this evening, my son from Georgia, his wife and daughter Lyndsay, and two of his step-daughters will arrive.  I'll be doing lots of cooking over the next few days! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel Mo, I dont much trust anyone in the medical field these days.   I am reading The Purpose Driven Life now for several weeks. I am really getting alot out of it. I bought one for my daughter and she is thrilled with it also. You will love it I am sure.

Anonymous said...

"The Purpose Driven Life".  That sounds like a good sermon. -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Mo, I'm sorry about the difficulty with your brace. I had to lease one a few years ago for a heel problem. By the time my Insurance comany finished paying for the lease, I could have purchased a couple of them. The company doesn't sell them tho. Only leases them...so they get you coming and going. However, It did do the trick. Another thought about the pain...Thinking of post surgery physical therapy to a recent shoulder surgery...It hurts.. but it really is true no pain no gain and unfortunately probably is true of your brace...Good luck with it and hang in there.
Wldblume