Sunday, June 6, 2004

Church Day

For many years, I attended New Life Assembly of God.  My friend, Carol, invited me to ride with her years ago.  That's how I chose that church.  I don't drive, and Cliff is not big on Church attendance.  It's fifteen miles to New Life, and Carol's health is declining; so I made the decision to choose a church close enough to home that, if need be, Cliff could take me and then pick me up.

My choices were:  The local Baptist church, which has shrunk to almost nothing in attendance; a Methodist church, about which I know nothing at all; a non-denominational Pentecostal church; and the old German Church, which left the United Church of Christ and allied itself with the Evangelical Free denomination.  I have a friend who drives right past my house to attend that church, so I chose it.  Diane seems glad to have me.

I am enjoying the traditions of this Church... saying the Lord's prayer each Sunday, and the Apostle's creed.  I had not attended churches before that made these a part of each Sunday's agenda.  Just before worship begins, someone rings the 100-year-old bell, and I get goosebumps every time it tolls.

The membership includes a lot of white-haired and balding folks, but I think that's how it is with most small-town churches... and I'm getting more gray in my hair all the time.  I'm just glad I have a place to worship God. 

No comments: