Wednesday, May 31, 2006

This 'n that

The granddaughters started summer school yesterday:  If they make it the whole month without missing a day, they'll get $100 on a gift card at the end. 

Going to summer school keeps them occupied and lets them be in the air conditioning, and it gives me and Cliff our days to ourselves, between 8 AM and 3:30 PM... just like during the regular school year.  Oh, and my daughter doesn't have to pay me as much babysitting money.

Speaking of which, I've had some strange reactions from folks when I mention that I charge my daughter and her husband for babysitting their kids:  some people seem to think it's horrible that I'd expect flesh-and-blood to pay me for watching my own grandchildren.  Well folks, it keeps me from being resentful about their being here, and allows me to buy snacks and treats for them without breaking our budget.  Also, I've had a couple of conversations like this: 

ME:  "My daughter pays me to babysit." 

OTHER PERSON:  "Yeah, but does she really pay you?" 

Obviously these people don't know me very well, because if Rachel forgets to write me a check over the weekend, I remind her that she hasn't paid me... and she apologizes, and forks over the dough.  If they're having a rough week financially, their credit is good with me; they can pay me the next week, and have never failed to do so.

After Cliff's next visit with the cardiac doctor, we might go to Branson for a weekend.  And sometime in July, when the girls go to stay with their other grandma, we're talking about visiting Glacier National Park in Montana.  We'll see how things go.

To see our weight-loss progress, click HERE.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

To add to this entry, I pay their OTHER grandma the same amount.  Having grandchildren doesn't obligate you to babysit for free...you've raised your kids.

Anonymous said...

Honey, I think it's GREAT that you charge them for babysitting.  It irks me to no end when women my age smirk and say how glad they are to have a free babysitter, as they get into their zillion-dollar SUV to go dump their kids on the grandparents!  GGRRRRRRRR

xoxoxo,
andi

ps: so glad Cliff is doing so well!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your daughter appreciates very much the care you give to your grandaughters, and doesn't mind at all paying you.  When my Nicci was born, I paid my mom to take care of her during the day when I worked.  It was well worth the money.  She was with family and was safe.  Have a good one.
Missie

Anonymous said...

You have brought to adulthood responsible children.  This is one way of them demonstrating thier responsibility.  You help them in so many ways and you are always there in a crisis and they know that.  Why shouldn't they carry thier own weight at this point in the game.  One day you won't be there and they will already know how to take care of themselves.  Besides grandchildren were meant to be a pleasure not a financial burden.

Anonymous said...

I always paid my MIL for sitting with my children when they were small. I hope Cliff does feel up to you two taking some trips later. Helen

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you charge. Your daughter knows she has to pay and always does. She is not taking advantage of you. You get to buy good snacks for the kids which is a good thing. I like that idea.

Anonymous said...

Once I was working (high school years), my parents asked me to contribute toward the expense of letting me live at home. It sure taught me how to manage money...but I resented the hell out of it at the time. LOL  I don't see anything wrong with you asking for a stipend to babysit every day.

Anonymous said...

Wtg Rachael!

Anonymous said...

Mosie, I think you are a great mom...you are the best babysitter that your daughter can find....you LOVE your grandchildren...and I know your daughter appreciates you being with her children, so she does not have to resort to a stranger being with them. You should be paid and I know your daughter believes this also, and I know she thanks God everyday for having you for a mom.God bless you.
love,
Carlene