Friday, May 12, 2006

We need a new TV

When it comes to a television set, it doesn't take much to make me and Cliff happy.  Our living room is small, so a really large TV wouldn't work even if we wanted one; and we've never had a problem watching analog television; we grew up with it, after all.  We are not connoisseurs.  Personally, I don't watch enough television for it to matter.   

We bought our current, cheap set at Walmart.  It's starting to fail us:  no remote will work with it now, so we watch it by way of the VCR so we can still switch channels from our chairs with the VCR remote; if we turn it off with the captions running (Cliff uses captions because he's hard of hearing) it sometimes won't come back on.  

We're going to have to make a decision soon on what type TV to buy.

Everybody knows the old cheap analog televisions will eventually be a thing of the past, and for years I've thought we'd be forced into buying one of the expensive HD sets the next go-around.  Not so:  it seems that people with cable or satellite will still be able to view programs on the old sets... it's only those who use an antenna who will be out of luck when the big change takes place (supposedly at the end of this year); here's a quote:  "Many analog television owners won’t need a converter: 85 percent of Americans now get all their television from cable or satellite providers, so for the most part the change-over won’t affect them."  I found that information HERE.

So, I am not nearly as apprehensive now about going shopping for a television.  We might even find what we want at Walmart again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck tv shopping. I don't watch much tv. But my hubby does when he is home. The kids watch it when they are home also.

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, just dropping in to wish you a beautiful wkend! ;0)
Blessings, SUGAR

Anonymous said...

Good luck on finding the TV you want. I myself don't watch TV much but Ken does. What he loves is swithing channels. LOL. I never try to watch a movie or anything because of that. Of course if I really wanted to finish a movie I could watch it on a smaller TV we have. Helen

Anonymous said...

We've gotten a few good TVs at  Walmart.  Good Luck finding one.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Good luck with TV hunting....I think you will find a nice one and not so expensive...God Bless....Hugs from HY...Ora

Anonymous said...

If you belong to a Sams club, I would suggest that. You wouldn't believe what you can get for under $500.00........they include DVD and VCR players built in them too.  I would say for even for $300.00 you can get a fabulous one.   Anne

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to tell Jesse we need a new TV too.  On the TV in the living room, all the channels will come in, so I know it's the TV in the bedroom that's messed up.... we can get channels if we change one by one, but if we punch in the channel we want, we get the snow.  @@  I keep saying we don't need a fancy thing...just something that WORKS....heh...

~Amy

Anonymous said...

My TV in the living room is an old Sony 27 inch screen that my mom bought in 1989.  She paid $800 for it at the time.  It still looks brand new!  The sound started to go....so I hooked it up to one of those surround sound systems and I can hear it fine now.  Talk about running something until it dies!!  LOL!! But, like you, I don't watch much TV.  
I'm sure you can get a nice TV at Walmart.  Or Sam's Club has nice ones too for decent prices (if you are a member!).  My friend says Toshiba is a real good brand.  Have fun shopping!  
Pamela

Anonymous said...

You should be able to find a smallish set for dirt cheap, I would think. Since most folks want the big honkin models with all the bells and whistles.

Anonymous said...

I paid 125 for my 27 inch from Walmart! Yep I am one of those that will have to fork out some money for new tv.  At the moment FCC has said that we have until Feb 2009. That is when all analog signals will cease.

Anonymous said...

after reading this entry and the article I decided to post one about this subject..  It is a good topic!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for passing that info on! I was truly in the dark on the whole thing. I'm a cable guy so guess I don't have to worry about it either. Happy shopping!! rich