Tuesday, May 2, 2006

misunderstood

Yeah, I'm frustrated.  And misunderstood.

Reading the comments on the last entry, people seem to think I am taking the blame for Cliff's heart trouble.  Folks, I am not.  It wasn't a lack of caring that caused me to ignore obvious heart symptoms, it was plain, old-fashioned ignorance.

When my friend Joanna gave me information that opened my eyes, I got Cliff to a doctor PDQ.

I wanted to pass along the favor that Joanna did for Cliff and me.  I want people to be aware of the symptoms.  If you choose to ignore the advice, and say to yourself, "I know people who did everything right and they died at age fifty," you go right ahead.  I've done what I could.

I did not do the previous entry to have my ego stroked or to be poor-babied.

Actually, I take much of the credit for Cliff's life being saved:  It was I who insisted we start walking in the pasture, where Cliff first had his chest pains, which in the long run got us to the doctor.  I was the one who practically FORCED him to keep his doctor appointment.  I am 100% responsible (ask him) for his losing 35 pounds before this happened, so he already had a head start on losing the weight that he needs rid of so as not to overwork his heart.

I may have put this in my journal before:  Cliff's heart doctor, the one who diagnosed him, told him he is actually a heart doctor's dream patient, because he quit smoking, he is losing weight, and he walks every day.  These are the things most heart patients refuse to do; Cliff can take credit for quitting the cigarettes, but he can thank me for the other two.

Feel better now?

and NO, I am NOT offended by the well-meaning comments.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't offend you when I said not to blame yourself.  Have a good evening.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna -- just want you to know, I understood you weren't looking for accolades or poor-me's.  When I read your journal I read of a wonderfully warm, smart, capable woman who takes life by the horns and wrestles it as needed!  Hope I didn't offend you in any way -- it would never be my intent.

Anonymous said...

Somehow this entry struck me funny.  Blaming yourself is akin to feeling sorry for yourself and we know THAT IS NOT YOU.  Your personality comes across better than that.  But I do understand wanting to "save" people from mistakes they might make.  That's whats eating away at me now.  I'm tempted to write volumes to you cause I've been there.  Have to restrain myself.    

Anonymous said...

Boy am I ever glad I went to Missouri  - - :o)

La Chiquita Banananaaaaa

Anonymous said...

opps Mosie....I mis read and mis understood the entry...thought maybe the old devil was giving you a hard time about your feelings and Cliff's situation now...glad to hear not so....you are a much stronger individual than you want folks to think...and if we want to stroke you...uplift you...and be there for you....well you are just going to have to live with it girl....cause it is gonna happen....LOL....Hugs to you both...Ora

Anonymous said...

Sorry Donna for misunderstanding that entry. Please don't feel flustrated with most of us. Helen

Anonymous said...

Tell it like it Mosie.. That is what you do! :)

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I am always so scared about my dear husband who is continually enveloped in a cloud of smoke.
Marti

Anonymous said...

I am just glad it was caught in time and he is doing better. :)