Saturday, May 27, 2006

It's hard to let your babies go

Adam, who lives less than two miles from us, pastures his horse, Tude, on our farm; Jessica, his girl friend, is trying out a mare she might buy; if she buys the mare, they'll keep her here, too. 

They decided to spend the holiday weekend camping out at Blue-Gray park with their horses.  My grandson, Arick, (Adam is his second cousin) thought it sounded like fun, and asked if he could take my horse, Blue, and go with them.  My first thought was this:  No way will I turn the horse of my dreams loose with a twenty-year-old boy who knows nothing about horses.

Then I remembered why I bought this particular horse.  I wanted a horse that other people could enjoy with me... children, grandchildren, neighbors. 

And Blue can always use more exercise and conditioning than he gets from me, by myself.

Adam and Jessica know horses, so I asked them to look out for my baby (that would be the horse, not my grandson).

I think everyone will be better off for the events of this weekend.  I just hope I live through it.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lordy, I know what you mean!    Anne

Anonymous said...

I think I'd have very mixed feelings about that one, I don't know if I'd be as generous as you've been.  Thankfully the other two are horse people and will help out.  It's a beautiful weekend here and 3 of mine and their families are camping too!  I'd love to be out under the stars...but I had my day in the sun, now it's there's .  I'll go visit them just for a while tomorrow.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I'll keep all my fingers and toes crossed!
Tess

Anonymous said...

I will keek my fingers crossed too, Mosie! I know that you will be worried until your baby gets back home!
love,
carlene

Anonymous said...

you are brave...loving...and a great grandma...Hugs...Ora

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it'll be ok....but I'd be nervous, too.  Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!  And Blue, too!  They'll take care of him, though.  They won't let anything happen.
Pam

Anonymous said...

hope everyone had a great time.

Anonymous said...

I'm betting Blue will be even more attached to you after this.  BTW...I think I'll name my next pet "Tude".  That's pretty cool.

Russ

Anonymous said...

OMG - well, you're braver than I am.  He'll be just fine.



I hope.............

Anonymous said...

Good luck.  Prayer helps.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

I just don't know if I could let mine go somewhere without me.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Blue had a good time with them camping.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Pete has loaned his horses out to nephews and a few close friends before.  Sometimes with better results than others.  But they have always come home alive and well.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I KNOW THAT WAS HARD....You probably will be better off for it though.  

Anonymous said...

(((Mosie))))
What a wonderful Grandma you are for letting Arick take Blue. I would have hesitated also, but you stopped and remembered why you got Blue and you did a great thing. I'm sure Arick just loves you for it!

Big Hugs,
Gayla

Anonymous said...

This was a very cute entry, Donna!  I hope Blue survived the weekend! :)  I'm sure he did!

Jackie