Monday, May 8, 2006

Good news!

We visited the surgeon's office today for a checkup.

Cliff can drive again!  Not for long distances, but still.  He was disappointed to learn that he still isn't allowed to lift over five pounds for another two or three months, but he'll have to deal with it.  Since our riding lawn mower is an electric-start type (as opposed to pull-the-rope-to-start) he is allowed to mow.  So he has a few things to keep him out of mischief, and I know he'll be happier if he can do something.

His heart and lungs checked out great, and no part of his heart is damaged, as I had thought earlier. 

I mentioned the evil pills to the nurse (although it was the other doctors who prescribed them, not the surgeon) and she said since Cliff hadn't had arrhytmia before the surgery, that particular prescription is probably temporary.  "1/3 of our patients have arrhytmia after open heart surgery,"  she said.  "It's a temporary thing caused by their heart being stopped and handled and re-started."

I had a list of questions for them, and was quite satisfied with all the answers.  The nurse seemed to think I was going overboard on keeping salt out of things, but we're getting along so well with our diet plan, I think I'll keep it up, although I might see that we have red meat a couple times a week instead of only once.  Oh yes, she said it would be good if Cliff limited his caffeine intake.

I feel good!

As for the Pacerone, I called the other doctors' office this morning and left a message telling them of my concerns; I'm sure they'll return my call this evening or tomorrow morning.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great news. I am so glad he is doing so well. Lawn mower look out here comes Cliff. Helen

Anonymous said...

WOW ! PTL !!  That IS good news for sure. So glad to hear Cliff is doing so well. Also, it's good to know you are feeling well too Mosie. Looks like you two have this thing all worked out and are taking care of business. We give God the glory for HIS hand upon you and Cliff as you have gone through some rough weather, so to speak, in the last few weeks.

We continue to pray that God keep you and Cliff in HIS care and strengthen you as each day dawns and closes.

Friends, Bill and Nance in CA

Anonymous said...

Great news!!!
June

Anonymous said...

That was a good doctors visit ...... and I think that is great. I bet Cliff is on the mower as soon as he feels like getting to work.... how far can he drive? did he drive home? :) Sandra

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Cliff had a good drs appt.
Missie

Anonymous said...

No heart damage that is wonderful news. My son who had same thing as Cliff also had no heart damage. I understand that is not always the case. So a big praise God for answer to lots of prayers that went up for Cliff

Anonymous said...

What a blessing!  NO heart damage!  Oh, Donna, I can imagine you are walking on air right now!  

Praise God... Cliff is truly on the road to recovery!!  

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear report went well. Ain't God grand!!!! :)
Blessings, SUGAR

Anonymous said...

    You have a lot of concerned people who have been reading to hear how Cliff is doing; you have a lot of people praying for you; you have a lot of people happy to read all the good things that have been happening in Cliff's recovery.
P.S.  I'm sure that Farmer Cliff feels better just being able to get on that riding lawn mower! (Did you get him approved to help with dishes, etc?) (JUST KIDDING)
LOIS

Anonymous said...

I think  most Drs do not expect us to do any research!!!  WTG!!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

so happy cliff can drive and mow. I'm really happy that he is doing good.

Anonymous said...

You are fullfilling my expectations!....Questions, questions, more good questions and good records, that gains the Doctor's respect.  Our Dr. now asks me questions.... It's a good thing!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that there is no heart damage. I am also happy  that you ask questions, you get thew best treatment when you are informed and not afraid to ask hard questions and most importantly, push for the answers if you have to. WTG cliff, Great progress. I am so happy for you both.
                         Hugs, Cyndy, Mendota, Il.

Anonymous said...

Let's see now. Clif can drive and mow.... can he come down here and mow? So does that mean he will be able to cut with the tractor?