Since I messed up my latest blog, I decided to come to this one, which ended in 2008. Once in awhile I do miss "talking" about something. Since most of my friends who followed me here know that I have dementia of some kind, I'm sure if you notice a mistaken word (or worse) from time to time, you will know why.
Here's a strange thing. I totally stopped playing my guitar and singing at a certain point; I just didn't care about it any more. Last July, a nephew asked me to sing Bobby McGee, my favorite song (except for all the hymns I love, of course), but I couldn't do it. I didn't even know the first line (busted flat in Baton Rouge waiting for a train). Cliff told me I should sell my guitar if I couldn't use it, but for some reason I just couldn't do it.
On Sundays at church the preacher would ask me to sing, but I knew that when I picked up my guitar, I wouldn't know an A chord from a C chord, so I really couldn't do it.
Then one day I decided to write down the words to Bobby McGee. With a little help from my husband, I managed to get the tune back. Most of the time now, I can sing that particular song without the lyrics in front of me.
So I decided to try some of the old hymns, found two I loved, and sort of put them together and sang them at church. I couldn't believe I got through it, but I did; of course, I did have the words in front of me, but I made a decision: Every morning I would spend some time with my guitar, singing hymns. It's the best decision I could have made! I have three hymn books with shaped notes from three Church-of-Christ congregations, and I use them all, although the one from my Grandma Stevens is pretty hard to read:




It's great to see you over here, Donna. I think music is very important for our brains, so I'm happy that you're playing and singing again. It sounds like it's bringing you a lot of joy too.
ReplyDeleteIt has definitely helped me.
Deleteso glad to "hear" from you....
ReplyDeleteI've seen several studies of the importance of music to those with dementia. Music seems to be one of those things that can be retained even with the disease. As I said on your other blog, my thoughts and prayers were with you and Cliff Donna.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to have a conversation, but so far we're doing OK. I still cook and wash dishes. I make Cliff go in the grocery stores with me because I have trouble paying, which is embarrassing. I just tell people I have dementia... best excuse ever!
DeletePlease keep singing and please don't sell your guitar!!
ReplyDeleteOld friend
ReplyDeleteI found you again
It maid my day
To hear your say!
I'm so glad you're back to singing & playing, Donna. You are SO talented!! Love, Andrea xoxo
ReplyDelete