Friday, April 25, 2008

I spent four hours at the cabin yesterday evening and nosed around for more morel mushrooms.  I found three tiny gray morels, hardly worth picking... but I saved them just in case I find more in the next day or two.  I also found a couple of false morels as well as some half-frees, which I left in place because, to me, there isn't enough to them to be worth the effort of soaking and cooking them.  Besides, I'm pretty leery of eating any mushroom except the wonderful morel.  I don't need to be poisoned.  I check the Missouri Morel message board daily to see what other "shroomers" are finding.



At the back of our place in the woods was this dead tree with wood chips laying on the ground around it.  I couldn't help but wonder if some animal (deer?) butted against the trunk to make the chips, or did the tree simply shed little pieces of wood?  Termites maybe?  There are so many mysteries in the woods.

The mobile-home mover called yesterday.  He's going to go ahead and remove the skirting from our home and get it all ready to travel, so if it ever stops raining long enough, all he has to do it hook onto it and bring it.

Tags: ,

8 comments:

marainey1 said...

I love the woods and now that I have my camper I'll be in them alot.  Just like you, I now have a place to go.  Good news that the home is ready to move when the weather is fine.  It won't be long now.  'On Ya' - ma

robinngabster said...

I love it when you post entries and pictures of your morel adventures!

fowfies said...

A walk in the woods for morels sounds much more appealing that cleaning house. ;) The shoes are a great idea, looks muddy there. Kelly

lanurseprn said...

Those shoes are great! I could use some of those to walk in the rain here, too.
How exciting getting your new home ready to move! I'll be here soon...and you'll be BUSY!
Pam

ryanagi said...

I've had morels in this amazing wild mushroom soup from a local place before...but I never knew what they were called. I just called them "the wrinkly ruffely ones". lol

madcobug said...

We used to have some of those overshoes as kids. That long streak looks like a lightening strike. I have no idea what caused the wood chips. Looks like that false morel has a slimy waxy edge. Helen

breakaway1968 said...

We find those laying around dead trees too and we found wood peckers to be the culprit!  Glad your feeling good enough to get a walk in :)  Hope the fever is gone now!   I would do some mushroom hunting but I would prob poison us all!!!  

geocachelinda66 said...

Looks like a pileated woodpecker at work there in the woods!  They leave huge wood chips on the ground.  Linda