Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The blog of Henry David Thoreau

I access most of my regularly-read blogs and journals through Bloglines, using AOL alerts only for the private journals, which don't show up on bloglines.  Along the way during my travels through cyberspace, I learned that some industrious soul has put Henry David Thoreau's journal online, with whatever he wrote on a certain day in 1856 coming up on Bloglines as though it had been written today.  Here's a little snippet of what he wrote on December 5, 1856, speaking of the winter season:

"I love best to have each thing in its season only, and enjoy doing without it at all other times. It is the greatest of all advantages to enjoy no advantage at all. I find it invariably true, the poorer I am, the richer I am. What you consider my disadvantage, I consider my advantage. While you are pleased to get knowledge and culture in many ways, I am delighted to think that I am getting rid of them. I have never got over my surprise that I should have been born into the most estimable place in all the world, and in the very nick of time, too."

This reminds me why I always loved Thoreau.

Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have now added that blog to my 'blog folder' in my favorites list.  Very cool.  And so -- now.  

Anonymous said...

I love that thought,  Sometimes we just don't know how rich we are until we loose it. 'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I recall someone else bringing this to my attention a couple years or so back.  I remember spending hours reading this "journal."  Pretty amazing!

Hugs
Jackie