Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The animals are doing fine

Although the news people are saying city streets are clear, here in the country we have a brand new layer of ice.  It rained all day yesterday; in fact, when I was out taking the above pictures, my head got pretty wet.  But the rain wasn't freezing then.  At some point during the night, the temperature lowered enough for the precipitation to freeze on the ground.  I won't be going outside today!

Cliff spent a couple of hours re-arranging the animals so everyone could have shelter from the rain if they so chose.  Most of the time, the horses choose to stay outside and be covered with a layer of ice.  Although Cliff said that when he came in the house for the evening yesterday, they were in their shed.  So he feels a little better about all that work.  Once we see that the freezing rain is over, he'll put them back out in the big pasture and let the calves have their accustomed lot.

As long as I was careful, I had no trouble walking around the yard and barn yesterday taking pictures.  By the way, when I first got out of bed today, I thought to myself, "Hey, my knee almost feels normal!"  So the swelling must be going down.  Now understand, by "normal" I don't mean my knee feels like it did twenty years ago; but I'm not in constant pain, and that's a good thing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are wise to stay in for sure.  So glad you are feeling better.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I believe that Secret and the rooster used more sence than the others getting inside out of the freezing cold and rain. Helen

Anonymous said...

You know...you would think the horses would go for cover!  Our neighbors horses do the same thing!  She puts them in the barn and out they come....below freezing or not they are outside.  Today we have sun so they are really liking that.  Even tho it's only 3 outside.  I don't know how they do it!  

Anonymous said...

Good about your knee!

Anonymous said...

Glad your knee feels better, please don't take a chance in this weather & fall!
Sug

Anonymous said...

Wow you really do have a lotta snow there!!  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

OH it looks soooo cold there! I was wondering how your animals stay warm. Looks to me like they've got it made!
Stay warm...and don't slip!!
Pam

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the animals.  You be careful out in that stuff.  It is still in the 70s here.  It doesn't even seem like it close to Christmas time.  I'm so glad that you are feeling much better.  Thank God for that.

Hollie