Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Don't you love dentists?

I have a lot of aging bridgework in my mouth, paid for twenty-five years ago by my husband's then-employer.  It's served me well, because without it, I'd have had to start wearing dentures long ago.  But the bridgework is wearing out, little by little.

Lately I've been having some pain in my lower right jaw while chewing, and I finally went to a dentist yesterday.  Turns out one of the "anchor" teeth had broken off at the gumline.  With that gone, the bridge had to go, and the dentist took care of that.  And billed my insurance.  (Thank God for insurance.)

His office referred me to an oral surgeon to remove the remaining root, and I was able to get an appointment for this morning.  How much fun can one person have?  Two dentist in two days!  I chose to have Novocaine rather than be put to sleep; after all, it's painless either way.  Why take the risks involved in being knocked out?  Not to mention the added expense.

I could not believe all the papers I had to sign, and the instructions I was given before coming home.  Folks, you'd have thought I'd had heart surgery!  I realize it's all because of today's lawsuit-happy generation, but good grief.  I even have the dentist's pager number in case of emergency.   I have some Vicodon here just in case there's significant pain, but so far it isn't needed.

Oh, and I was told not to lift anything heavy or do hard work for four or five days.  It's a little hole in my gum, not major surgery!  Although now that I think of it, I could use this little part of my instructions as an excuse to stay on the computer.  Never mind; I've haven't needed an excuse before, so why start now? 

I found it interesting that the total cost of extracting the tooth today (or I should say the root) was $160.  Some charlatan dentist was going to charge my grandson $300 for an extraction a while back, which resulted in his deciding not to have dental work done.  So now his teeth will rot because of a dentist who overcharges.  Oh, and the quack insisted he bring $300 with him to the appointment, even though he has insurance.

OK, I'm done venting. 

I feel much better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having the same problem with an anchor tooth and keep putting it off,  Ah the dreaded dentist is in my very near future, only I don't have dental insurance.  Take it easy and be well.    Vicki

Anonymous said...

Be glad you ahve dental insurance Mosie. So sorry about your grandson...Hope the pain is not too bad for ya.
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Glad you have dental insur!!!! I don't. & medicare or medicaid won't pay for dental work...I think that's just wrong!
I have had most of my teeth removed due to my TN they thought it might help, didn't. I had them all done at once with just Novacaine. Only a few anchor teeth on lower jaw remain.
I recently found out root tips were left on most of them!!! GRRR But as long as they don't give me any added trouble, they can stay. LOL
Hope you feel better. Have a good day.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel...my husband had 3 different dentist appts. Monday.  He has 2 choices....have his 4 lower front teeth pulled or oral surgery.  We have dental insurance, but it doesn't help much.  The company he works for doesn't have good insurance.  I hope you do good.  Sorry to hear about your grandson's ordeal.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I think they've been doing all that paperwork for quite a long time for extractions. I remember reading the pamphlet when I got my wisdom teeth pulled in Oak Grove that made a bid deal about "dry socket" and all that....and that was 25 years ago. But, when you think about it, your uppers are right beside your nasal cavity, and then brain, so maybe they aren't overdoing it.

Anonymous said...

I just finished  a long haul with my dentist.  They do everything in one office and I have now got my new partial, my teath have been cleaned and 3 fillings were put in...sad to say , no insurance and it put a big hole in my savings for sure...next is the eye glasses.  I'm sure they'll not be cheap either, the only savings will be I'm using the same frames I had before.  Every dentist varies on what the charge for sure.  We can't have our teeth rotting, but.....  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got all of your work done. I know that dentists here vary in price. And some will work with you and some won't. It's tough, 'cause when you gotta go to the dentist...you GOTTA GO!  It's nothing to fool with.
Take care,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Glad you got it done - who needs a potential infection? I would probably opt for Lidocaine AND being knocked out - my teeth rarely completely freeze, and pain is my companion for dental work. So are you getting a new bridge made?

xoxo