Saturday, July 28, 2007

to catch a bay horse in the dark

I awoke before 4 AM this morning, not an unusual time for me to get up.  I have no reason to be stirring so early; but my rebellious body insists I get moving if I lie in bed awake for over a half-hour.

I believe I'll go for a ride when day starts breaking.  I need to get my money's worth out of the $80 I gave the farrier yesterday.

I went out to a pitch-dark pasture to try and find a dark-bay horse in a group of other brown horses.  That would be a daunting task, except at this time of morning/night, the horses always seem to be lounging just on the other side of the second gate.

We've locked them out of the lot nearest the barn, because they insist on standing at the
gate all day, pooping.  If they should get into a scuffle and bump that gate, causing it to swing open, they'd be free in the neighborhood.  So Cliff forces them to stand further away at a second gate.  Where they stand, pooping, about three quarters of the time, in full sunlight, even on 95-degree days.  At least I don't have to worry about Blue foundering on grass; they have turned their standing area into a dust bowl, and only go grazing when they're really hungry.

Anyway, I generally forget to take a flashlight along when I go get Blue at this time of day.  When I got to that second gate I peered through the darkness:  Were they there as usual?  Or were they at the back of the place, grazing?  As my eyes adjusted, I saw their ghostly bodies about fifteen feet away and started my two-syllable call:  Blu-uuuue, Blu-uuuue.  I could see Tude's head go up, looking at me with ears perked up, but Blue wasn't even visible at first.  Then his big frame emerged out of the shadows.  I opened the gate just wide enough for him to enter, and closed it quickly to keep Sassy from slipping in with him; she always tries.

So Blue is eating weeds (that's all that's growing in the lot; you'd think it was the finest alfalfa the way those horses eat them) while I wait for a hint of color to show on the eastern horizon. 

I believe Cliff has a motorcycle ride planned for this day, also.  We'll see how it goes.

Don't forget I'm giving away a hand-held digital camcorder after August 7; if you're interested, leave a comment on The contest entry and get your name in the hat.

Tags: ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does sound like you are going to have a wonderful day.  How blessed can one be ??? 2 rides with 2 handsome fellows.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

What a way to start I day!  I wish I could do that...  Linda

Anonymous said...

How do you manage to get up so early?  I hope you enjoy your ride though.  I know it's got to be sooo peaceful that early in the morning.  Hey....maybe that's the reason that you do it...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Blue enjoys his rides as much as you do! What a way to start the day and a wonderful way to finish with a motorcycle ride! Enjoy!
Katie

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start a day!!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Our new pony is dark bay and so hard to see when I go out in the evening to check on them.  The mini is mostly white which helps.  
Sounds like a great way to start the day!
Traci

Anonymous said...

With you being up at four in the morning, dodging horse poo, I have a two-syllable call for you, "Craaa-zeee"!  LOL!