Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Our exercise program

Cliff and I were taking daily walks long before his CABG surgery; in fact, our walk was what caused his chest pains in 2005, which led to our getting him to the doctor... in a round-about way, and with a little shove from a friend.

We've been walkers on and off for years, but this round of diet/exercise began almost three years ago; we'd go to the little park less than a mile away and make use of the track there.  It circles a little-league baseball field.  If we walked a half-hour, that was six turns around the track, and it added up to a mile-and-a-half.  Can you say "boring"?

So one day I headed out to the pasture with watch in hand and figured out a half-hour walk there, a walk that incorporated hills, something we were lacking at the track.  And pleasant scenery.

So that's been our routine ever since, except during Cliff's recuperation from heart surgery.  There are disadvantages, by the way, the main one being that we get wet feet when there's a heavy dew... which is almost every day.  Or when it has rained, which results in muddy places where the horses lounge.

Cliff's Wisconsin sister and her husband visited recently, and they wanted to go along on our daily walk.  Both Cliff's sisters have invested heavily in exercise equipment, and this particular sister uses her Nordic-track religiously, every day.  Not to mention the various workout tapes she uses.

So imagine my surprise when both she and her husband gave out after our first hill, puffing and panting and begging for mercy.  From that point on, they waited for us at the top of each hill.

Now I'll grant you, Rena has been a heavy smoker all her life (she quit three months ago) and has permanent damage from a lung that collapsed when she had a wreck several years ago.

But I'm just glad to know our half-hour walk is so difficult for someone used to working out on an expensive Nordic-track and using exercise videos.

We must be getting plenty of cardiovascular exercise.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the hills that make a difference.  When I go hiking with the campers, I always have to take my walking stick .  It helps going up and even going down.  You both are in good shape for sure.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Good for you two!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Wow that is awesome you have a nice walk like that everyday or so.  I am trying to be faithful in walking our puppies and doing the treadmill.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Great job - I love to walk, I don't get as bored with exercise when I'm walking! Hope your enjoying your day! Take care of you and yours as you always seem to do! Have a good one!
Katie

Anonymous said...

I may be young, but I'm smart enough to know I'd wait for you at the house with a glass of ice water.  LOL

Hey, how has the collapsed lung affected Rena?  You remember when I had that collapsed lung (from the car accident)....I wonder if I can do certain things or not, you know?

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Yup hiking is great excercise!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love walking outdoors even in rain. It was my "dred"mill that actually damaged my feet.   Anne

Anonymous said...

Before I had my son I bought a Nordic Track. At first I could only do 3 minutes on that thing! It's tough! I eventually built up to an hour...but it was HARD! I was in GREAT shape, too!  So your walk must be a challenge.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I do at least five miles down the boardwalk four times a week.  I love walking, it's the best exercise and keeps me slim and trim.  Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I prefer taking walks like that, anyway.  They're much more interesting, and they work muscles you don't always work with exercise equipment.
Lori