Tuesday, July 31, 2007

changes

I have in the past week, for some reason , enjoyed my days excessively.

I've turned back into the "morning person" I used to be.  I've been in good spirits, looking forward to each day.

Yesterday morning I worked Libby in the round pen with Blue's saddle on; that went well, considering that saddle is so big it rides forward onto her neck.  She tried to figure out a way to ditch in a few times, but finally just gave up and circled the pen, going whichever way I directed her.  Then I handled her feet, something I need to get back in the habit of doing daily; because she's been awfully touchy about one back foot.   The summer heat has caused me to put her on the back shelf:  it's time to make up for that.

In the afternoon I rode Blue along the river bottoms, and I felt the most wonderful sense of freedom and peace.  So much so that I broke into "How Great Thou Art" at the top of my lungs.  Followed by "When He Was On The Cross (I Was On His Mind)".   I'm sure if anyone had seen or heard me, they'd have thought I was mad.  I came home and cooled my poor, sweaty horse off with the garden hose.

Finally, I enjoyed a pleasant evening with my grandson.

Lately an inner voice tells me that within two years, all the things that bother me now will have vanished from my life like a puff of smoke.  The concerns of today will be forgotten.

Cliff and I have talked about getting a mobile home or some sort of different house on this property in two years.  But that wouldn't change any of the irritants here, so I don't think that's what prompted these thoughts.

Something in my spirit simply says things will be different.  Let's face it, at my age there are lots of factors, dozens of things that could close one door and open another.  Or maybe it's just me that is going to change.

So now the person who always hated change... that would be me... is looking forward with anticipation to whatever sort of vicissitudes come my way.


                                        WAITING

                               by: John Burroughs (1837-1921)

      erene, I fold my hands and wait,
      Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea;
      I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
      For, lo! my own shall come to me.
       
      I stay my haste, I make delays,
      For what avails this eager pace?
      I stand amid the eternal ways,
      And what is mine shall know my face.
       
      Asleep, awake, by night or day,
      The friends I seek are seeking me;
      No wind can drive my bark astray,
      Nor change the tide of destiny.
       
      What matter if I stand alone?
      I wait with joy the coming years;
      My heart shall reap where it hath sown,
      And garner up its fruit of tears.
       
      The waters know their own and draw
      The brook that springs in yonder height;
      So flows the good with equal law
      Unto the soul of pure delight.
       
      The stars come nightly to the sky;
      The tidal wave unto the sea;
      Nor time, nor space, nor deep, nor high,
      Can keep my own away from me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a good ride.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Change is inevitable. I think we have to embrace it to keep peace within our hearts. But, that's not easy.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Maybe Kevin and I will win the lottery, and change everything.  Aren't you proud that I took your great day and peaceful feeling, and made it about me?

Anonymous said...

I am turning into a morning person again also... don't know why I am wide awake at 8am... I like change sometimes and I know I could use some this a way.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I like the poem.  I have to admit that I do have a hard time embracing change, but I know that my attitude about change is the biggest factor in being able to deal with it or not.  I hope all the changes that do come your way are good ones.
Lori

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry!  I hate change and that is the one thing that doesn't seem to be changing.  I dislike new pcs or anything that causes me to have to learn something new.  My poor brain is tired.  So glad your free spirit has returned.  I believe free spirits are born in the morning!  May this joy linger as long as you need it.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mosie, I so admire your wonderful attitude toward everything.  Wish I could've been riding behind or beside you and Blue on that ride, on my own horse, and listening to your songs .... I would not have thought you were 'mad', I would have known you were 'gloriously happy'!  I wonder what that 'change' might be ..... hmmm.     Judy

Anonymous said...

I find myself being at peace lately. I would of loved to of heard your songs in the quite of the day! Change is good, change is healthy. Hope all of your changes make you happy! Take care of you and thank you, for sharing a part of you!
Katie

Anonymous said...

"I've turned back into the "morning person" I used to be."

Ew!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we have to go through the desert to find the oasis.  I think you have had one of those times.  I know I've found that place.  I don't always like to be the morning person I have to be, but I'm at peace with it.  Life is good !  
'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem.   Glad you are open to change.   Anne

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I fear change.

Anonymous said...

I haven't taken to change well lately. Seems I have always been the care giver and I would like for someone to take care of me but I'll get over it. Paula