Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Innocent Man

The book I've been reading aloud to Cliff when we're traveling in the car is "The Innocent Man", by John Grisham.   We've enjoyed several of his fiction novels before.  But this one isn't fiction, and it isn't novel.  Not one bit.

Although it tends to bog down with details during the courtroom stuff, it's riveting, for the most part.  And makes you wonder what in the heck ever happened to justice.

Please read the book.

"If you believe that in America you are innocent until proven guilty, this book will shock you. If you believe in the death penalty, this book will disturb you. If you believe the criminal justice system is fair, this book will infuriate you."

That's what it says on the dust jacket, and it's pretty much true.  Read this book.

Because if you're just a little weird, or perhaps march to a different drummer... you could just end up being blamed for some crime you didn't commit.  You might even wind up being executed for it. 

Thank God for DNA testing. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is one of my favorite authors.  A painted house is very good as well, but a little different.  Yes, a lesson can be learned from reading his work.

Anonymous said...

We have the book.  I think this is the only one I have not read yet.  Due to classes taking up my time.  I LOVED The Painted House.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Donna......is this the book that the movie "An Innocent Man" with Tom Selleck was based on?  I saw the movie.....what a spellbinder......and it did make me mad to see how he was railroaded and basically mistreated etc.  Great movie !

Anonymous said...

Mo, THIS is a very difficult read for me.  It is the story of a loved one and their illness and what awful things happen to a (my) family. My son is bipolar to this degree.  I can only read it in small incriments.  It is very powerful and I am very tearful.  Anne

Anonymous said...

I read this book when it first came out :-). It was very good. The Innocent Man was well written. His novels were starting to bore me, though, lol!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm not into that kind of reading, as I need something light and happy to read, but it does seem that we hear on the news every week or so that dna has saved someone from being incarcerated for a crime they didn't do.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I read this book when it first hit the shelves at book stores.  It's well worth the read.  

Anonymous said...

Donna....we bought this book sometime ago...hubby read it...and said it was sure different from other Grisham books...but interesting...I haven't started it yet...sometimes I need just light reading....other times...like to bear down and really get into a "thinking" read....and you have peaked my interest now LOL...thanks for the insight....hugs Ora

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a book I'd be interested in reading! Thanks.
Pam