Sunday, January 28, 2007

Why I read on-line journals

I was thinking today about all the journals and blogs I read, and asked myself why I've chosen certain ones for favorites, AOL alerts, or Bloglines.

Of course my kids' journals are first and foremost on my "to-read" list, although my son doesn't update often; blogging seems to be more of a "gal" thing, doesn't it?

When I'm browsing through the Internet looking at different blogs, I tend to look for people with a country or small-town flavor.  I connect with them because of our similar backgrounds and lifestyles, and quickly get caught up in their daily lives; before you know it, I feel as though I've known them forever.

I love people who can find humor in every-day life.   We don't have to have anything else in common  in order to laugh together.  Make me laugh and I'll be the first one on the doorstep of your blog, every time you update.  (That's Remo and Mrs L, for starters.)

And sometimes, I just connect with the writer of the blog for no particular reason.  I know I like them, and that's reason enough.

In my travels through J-land, and now Blogger, I've seen people overcome cancer, and some who didn't.  I've held the hands, so to speak, of people who lost a spouse. 

I felt the caring of dozens of people whose faces I'll never see in real life, when my husband was in the hospital.

I've commiserated with folks who lost a beloved pet, and rejoiced with those who acquired a new one.  I've laughed at the antics of your children and grandchildren, your dogs and cats, your birds and your horses.

If I had to choose one thing about the Internet that I like most, it would be journals and blogs. 

Thanks to all of you who continue to connect with me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you , I like having the connection and look forward each day to the sharing.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

That's exactly why I read them too. Plus I like to read other people's viewpoints. And I agree with you about Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. Thanks for pointing me in her direction!

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head so to speak. I feel like you do only you put your feelings down where it is hard for me to do that. I am not a writer at all. Thank you! Helen

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head.
thank you for continuing to write in your journals.

Anonymous said...

well said!

you are a good writer. I like how you put your thoughts and feelings into this post.

"I connect with them because of our similar backgrounds and lifestyles, and quickly get caught up in their daily lives; before you know it, I feel as though I've known them forever."


It was like you read my mind :)

Anonymous said...

You got me started...and hooked on journaling...and like you...I have found different folks...enjoyed some...related to others...it's a good thing....Hugs from KY...Ora

Anonymous said...

Well said Mo.  When I first starting reading your journal I first read your about me section on the side. I thought, Uh Oh..........she's going to be too religious and preachy.........boy was I wrong.  You are one of my favorites. I learn from you almost daily. I love your dogs, horses and Cliff. (not necessarily in that order) I love watching your videos too.  You have inspired me on many ocassions.  Thanks Mo!  YOU'RE the BEST!   Anne

Anonymous said...

I believe I have to agree that Journals and Blogs are my favorite things on the internet.  And for many of the same reasons you listed.  I suppose that the only thing I'd add since I journal about Spiritual things as well is how wonderful it is to know that some small thing I said, wrote, or passed along helped someone through a tough time or crisis of faith.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I like to read of people who live differently than I do.  I like to read of similar lifestyles, too.  But, someone that is different is what attracts me the most.
Have a good Sunday.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I think you speak for all of us in this entry Mosie! Thank you for being there for me too...
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

I agree with Carlene.. You speak for us all here, Donna!  I will always connect with you.   You were one of the first blogs I ever read, and I've enjoyed you ever since!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

The most amazing thing?  Someone like you and I becoming good friends!  I treasure you, Donna.  Don't forget that.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Very well stated!  I agree that journals and blogs are my favorite things about the internet.  I like that it makes the world into a community.  I like the family feeling I get from fellow journalers and bloggers. I like getting to know others far removed that I would never have had an opportunity to know otherwise.  I remember a line from a speech by a famous public figure that talked about Man's inhumanity to Man.  This internet community has reminded me and affirmed to me man's humanity.
Sam