Cliff and I left on the motorcycle this morning around 9:45, and got back home at 3:45. We had a nice, relaxing time cruising through farm country.
Our destination was Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge. We didn't see any geese, but we spotted hundreds of ducks, three eagles, and a snake.
Coming home, we passed through Brunswick, Missouri, the pecan capital of the world, and saw the world's biggest pecan. Sorry, Cliff didn't stop for me to get a picture. It wasn't a REAL pecan, anyhow.
Missouri isn't very photogenic in the winter... mostly browns, tans and grays. We saw lots of huge farms on the fertile river bottom land, many of them irrigated (thanks to global warming I'm sure) and a few four-wheel-drive tractors at work, even on this holiday.
We went through several rural towns: some were sad, with half the buildings and houses vacant and falling down; others were proud, and provocative with their beauty.
Driving past farmhouses, it was interesting to see that at 75% of them, nobody was home. At the other 25%, cars filled up the driveways and yards... obviously that's where the big Thanksgiving dinners were being held.
I cooked Monica's birthday hamburgers this evening for her whole family, plus Charlene and Pat (Cliff's sis and hubby).
A wonderful day, topped off by a telephone call from our son.