Wednesday, November 8, 2006

A motorcycle ride and a tractor acquired

This Ford 4000 tractor was offered to Cliff: price, $500. 

The forecasters said it would get near 80 degrees, so we took off on the Gold Wing at nine this morning and headed for Warrensburg, a forty-five-minute ride from here.  A pretty cool ride, at first. 

The Selectomatic transmission is messed up on this thing.  Cliff's brother, who has worked on such tractors, says it might be a blown O-ring, which he could fix.  Cliff started it up, and it sounded good, although he said there's a fuel problem somewhere; gasoline problems, however, are one of his specialties.  He loves chasing down what's wrong, finding the trouble, and making it right. 

We really don't have the money, but this is such a bargain, he can't resist it. 

Looks like a good project for this winter.

I am thankful for Cliff's love of tractors, and that he has a shop where he can work on these "noble beasts".  He's never bored.

Now it's time for him to go to work.  Time to pay the piper.  (Have I mentioned how thankful I am for Cliff's job?)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

And quite a noble beast it is.  I'll have to take a pic of our Torro commercial lawn mower so we can exchange and admire our boy's mechanical toys.  They sure do bring some helpful change to the table at dinner time once they've been paid on.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

You're weather is much like ours right now.  Is that out of season for you though?  Is that unusually warm weather for this time of year?  I know it's 83 here, and I'm must plain sick of the heat.  I want cool weather so bad...  

Glad you guys got a chance to get out and ride the motorcycle!  I know how much you enjoy that!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pictures when Cliff is finished with it.
June

Anonymous said...

Not bad! I wish it would wrm up here! Maybe this weekend...

Anonymous said...

I'm like you..it is a GOOD thing, this love of fixing tractors that Cliff has!!! And it is a GOOD THING that he has MOSIE too!
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Now you both have your new toys !  Something to keep you both busy.  I guess you'd better be thankful for that job !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that an old piece of machinery can make your husband so happy and I've thankful that you're my friend.

Anonymous said...

I can see he has already fallen in love with it. You have a good man and he has a good woman. Helen

Anonymous said...

That Selectomatic transmission could be a problem. But thinking upon it I can’t imagine parts impossible to get. All what can go wrong with most automatics are the seals, “O” rings, and clutch plates. “O” rings are easy enough although I suggest replacements be schedule 80. Available only not likely local hardware store. Seals can be ordered form  a supplier like Applied Technologies. The clutches and discs may have to be matched at the local neighborhood parts with other Ford motor company parts, say for Ford to Lincoln transmission parts. (I’m long shot guessing on this last part. But I'm betting they used common parts if even if not widely known so).
But then again Chevy clutch plates and discs are good replacements inside an Oliver Hydra Drive or Over/Under Drive.
Hell of a good looking tractor. Add a finish mower and your new and bigger estate’s lawn care is assured. LOL.
Old Coot

Anonymous said...

My mother and father's 56 year marriage would not have lasted had it not been for the fact that he had a shop with tractors and trucks to work on constantlly.

Anonymous said...

Looking down into the tractor he looks like a kid ready to get started playing!  It will keep him busy for sure.  I wish Ian would take an interest in things like that sometimes...but he is still working too much for a lot of time to do something like that...maybe we will slow down a bit later in our life and he can take up things like that.  He tried the garden this summer, with some good results, but the grass and weeds just dominated his efforts in the end.