The "dry lot" was originally created for my previous horse, Pleasure Boy. He foundered on lush, spring grass, and after that I had to keep him in a dry lot, and only turn him out on pasture for limited amounts of time each day. When I got Blue, I figured I'd manage him the same way; he looked like he'd be founder-prone, with that big, fat neck of his.
After the farrier assured me Blue had never foundered, I started letting him out on pasture all he wanted, except when it was the most lush, in spring.
Cliff decided that since we have no need for a dry lot now, and since we're finally getting adequate rainfall, it would be nice to have pretty green grass growing there. If it gets too tall, we'll just shut the horses in until they shorten it for us. I imagine the lot is less than an acre.
After a really hard rain Sunday evening, I knew that if there were any arrowheads or other Indian artifacts in the plowed ground, this would be the time to find them. My two best pieces came from this area, when a sow rooted them up years ago in the process of making herself a wallow.
As you can see from the pictures, there were plenty of pieces of flint, mostly chips that fell to the ground in the making of useful tools. I'll keep looking.