Sunday, July 30, 2006

Me? Sell my horse?

That's me and my horse Blue, standing in the sunlight on this 100-degree day.  No, I haven't gone for a horseback ride.  In fact, it's been around a month, I'd say, since I've ridden.  A couple of weeks before vacation, Blue lost his two front shoes, which means I couldn't ride him on gravel or pavement, lest I break off his hooves, or wear them off, and do damage.  Just before our trip to Colorado, the farrier was here and shod my horse.  It was too hot to ride when we returned home.  When it did cool off, Blue had managed to lose a front shoe again (in dry weather, his feet chip really easily and don't grow very fast).  And it got hot again.

Yesterday evening my twenty-year-old grandson, Arick, called to ask if he could come and get Blue for a trail ride with friends.  I told him it would be fine, but Blue was missing a shoe.

Turns out there was an Amish farrier at the place from which he was calling, so Arick said he'd just have the guy put a new shoe on. 

Arick was taking my horse for his friend, Michelle, to ride; she's scared of most horses, but trusts Blue.  Turns out her step-mom was the one who ended up riding him the most.

"Grandma, they want your horse, bad" Arick said.  "But I told them you said you'd never sell him."

I had a brief lapse of "common sense", and said, "Well... maybe if they were willing to pay $2,000...".

Cliff was excited about the prospect of possibly selling the horse, and said, "You haven't been riding him lately, and you always said when the time came you weren't riding a horse, you'd sell him."

It took about five minutes for me to come to my senses.

Sure, it's hot.  But it won't always be summertime.  It would be terrible not to have the option, on a spring or autumn morning, of saddling up and going for a ride.  What was I thinking?

The heat must have been baking my brain for me to even consider selling the  best horse I ever had.

But I'm OK now, and Blue is staying.  Some time ago, the local horse-trader tried to talk me into letting him buy Blue and I told him, "I wouldn't take $10,000 for this horse!"

The only way he leaves is if we have to have a farm sale and move to town.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never think of selling a pet,but then,no one has ever offered to buy one of my cats
Marti

Anonymous said...

I didn't think you would !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

the weather will break...and the fall day will be just beautiful in your woods and along the river...no...Blue is a keeper...and I don't even care for horses....well like to look at beautiful pictures of them....and love to see them at the race track....otherwise...you have fun girl...Hugs from KY...Ora

Anonymous said...

My heart did some extra fast beating thinking
I would never get to go on a ride with you and Blue again
thru your pictures.
Thanks for Not selling him.
Karla~WA

Anonymous said...

Yea for Blue!  Don't know what we'd do without him.

Anonymous said...

Go immediately and get central air! only the heat could make you even consider selling Blue.  P.S. I hope you didn't tell him.

Anonymous said...

As long as you're doing something with Bkue............

Anonymous said...

Whew, you scared me for a second!  Glad you came to your senses!
Traci

Anonymous said...

He is a beauty of a horse; I would imagine if you HAD to sell him it would be one of the hardest decisions you ever had to make and one of the saddest days of your life

betty

Anonymous said...

We do more riding in cooler weather.
I would hate to have someone on my back when it is hot outside!

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you... I wouldn't sell him either!!!! He is a beautiful horse!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness!  I'm glad you opted to NOT sell him!  You would miss out on those lovely rides, and we would miss out on the pictures you take while you're riding him  :)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you came to your senses. You can't sell Blue. She is such a great horse.

Anonymous said...

I've been BEGGING my folks to sell the farm and move to town where they are at least closer to medical care.  Nope.  They will stay in the sticks and will probably both die in the place they've lived for the last 54 years.  SIGH

Russ

Anonymous said...

You sell Blue, I go with him.......

He's a big baby.   :o)