Sunday, July 30, 2006

Farmers market

Cliff and I were up bright and early yesterday morning; instead of taking our walk, we got in the car at 6 AM and went to Kansas City to the City Market.  I enjoyed the little getaway, although it was already hot.  We bought some corn on the cob and bell peppers, and a nice head of cabbage.  Oh, and some sweet cherries at what I thought were a bargain at $1.50 a pound, until we went into WalMart later and found them for $1 a pound.  I hate when that happens.

I bought the tickets for mine and the girls' unlimited rides wristbands at the state fair; Lowe's is the only place you can get them, and they're $20.  $2 of that goes to the Red Cross  The best you can do once you are at the fair is a 15-ride wristband for $18, and I'd still have to pay $8 admission to get in; so it's a bargain.  Even though we'll be paying $15 a day for camping on fairground property, I still have to pay to get in when we walk through to the actual fairgrounds.  Thursday, because it's dollar day, my admission will be $1.  Then Friday I'll get in when I get my wrisband, so Saturday will be the only time I have to pay the full price.  Kids under 12 years old get in free at all times.

It's still unmercifully hot.  Don't even ask how I fared yesterday when I decided to take my walk at noon, with the temperature at 98 degrees.  Suffice to say, I won't be that stupid again.

Oh, someone asked in a previous comment, "What's a 'haint?'"

It's just a hillbilly word for "ghost".  And I don't believe in them, by the way.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that market, only it was a lot chillier, if I remember correctly.

Have a great time at the fair.

XXOO

Anonymous said...

You got a bargain anyway on those cherries.  At the farmer's market I went to they were $3.49 a pound on Friday.  I sincerely hope you won't go walking in that heat again !  I couldn't do it and won't even try.  Take good care and try to stay in where it's cool ! 'On Ya' -ma

Anonymous said...

The fair sounds like fun, Mosie!  I hope it doesn't get too hot, and that you and the girls have a great time!!

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I admire your fortitude in taking the girls to the fair...camping...etc...I know they enjoy it...and probably think they have the greatest grandmother in the world...LOL...but oh I hope and pray the weather breaks and it cools down for you...have fun...Hugs from KY     ps...yes I hate it when I think I have paid a good price for something only to walk into another store and find it cheaper....gets my goat you might say!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the old words.  I sincerely wish I had written down my grandmother's words and phrases.  

Anonymous said...

I'llbe sneaking over to the fair grounds kinda early. Get stamped on the way and be good for all day. Heh heh heh heh. {8^))

Anonymous said...

I'm with you; walking in 98 degrees wouldn't be too fun. The farmer's market looked like fun.

hope it cools down your way

betty

Anonymous said...

the fruit market I go to, I get cherries at 88 cents a pound. Yummy. It sounds fun the fair so have a good time.