Thursday, July 13, 2006

Coming to you live, from Durango

We didn't see any bears at the Black Canyon.  I did see a mule deer outside my tent when I woke up this morning, and yes, I did get a picture.  Cliff and I had the most gorgeous views while taking our morning walk.  Oh, and the drive from Ouray to Durango is priceless.  If you're ever in Colorado, you must do it!

After bargain-shopping for motels this afternoon, and threatening to camp out again after hearing the prices, we finally found a motel for $58, plus tax (which made it $63).  That'll be the most we've paid for a night's lodging so far.  And yes, it's a clean room.

Tomorrow we're taking the train from Durango to Silverton; we've done it before, but it's one of those things that's worth doing twice.

I'm not sure when we'll leave Durango, but once we do, we're headed slowly toward home, hopefully going past the Great Sand Dunes National Monument.  Natives around here don't seem to be too impressed with it, but by george, I've been trying for years to see it, and this time we WILL!  I'll let you know if it's a waste of time.

Some things we had planned to do that we missed this trip:  The Coors brewery at Golden, Colorado; Leadville, although we've been there before; and the Rocky Mountain National Park.  But there'll be a next time, good Lord willing.

I got my Golden Age passport, so I get to enter all National parks free, along with my spouse!  Happy birthday to me, right?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a golden age passport for the national parks... thats nice! I'm glad you are having a good time  and can hardly wait to see your pictures, Sandra

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you Mosie....Glad yall are having a great time! Please take care on your way home!
love, Carlene

Anonymous said...

I hear the storm coming!  Nice, green fields will greet you when you come home. You ARE coming home, right?  Please come home.  I love you.  I miss you.  Please?  Don't stay in Colorado!  WAAAAAAAA!  (ummm, ok, ahem, sorry.  I need my Mommy and Daddy.)

Anonymous said...

I love Durango.
We have been there three times but it was winter 2 times so the train ride was closed (snow).
The third time it was 4th July and so hot I did not want to wait for the train.
Durango is so high up in the mountians the altitude makes my blood pressure soar (even on meds) and that causes me to have nose bleeds so we never stayed more than 1 day and night each time.

Glad a bear did not get you. Really!!
I just watched a TV show about Black bears a few days ago.
Will be glad when you are home safe and can post pictures.
Karla~Vancouver Washington

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the Coors brewery tour; I think I've been on the road you were describing. Seems like you are having a grand time :)

betty

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see all the pictures you are taking. Glad you two are having a great time. Helen

Anonymous said...

Yes, doggone it.. it was your birthday, wasn't it?  Like July 7th to be exact!  Since I wasn't here to do it then, I shall do it now!  <clearing throat>   HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR DONNA!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!  

So glad that you and Cliff are having a good time on your vacation!  

Jackie

Anonymous said...

    Oh ... lucky you ... what a grand trip! Rocky Mountain National Park- that's worth going back for.  AND, near Garden of the God's is the awesome Seven Falls (where there is an elevator to get you to the top of the falls because there are so many stairs).
LOIS

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are seeing some beautiful country!  Linda

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so wonderful.  Looking forward to pictures.  Nice that you can keep in touch with us on the trip.  'On Ya' -ma

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are having a great time!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for you to post some pics. Hope the rest of your trip is wonderful and safe.
June

Anonymous said...

sounds like your having a great time and can't wait to see all the pictures when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying you birthday trip.  I'm so happy you all are doing this and I'm making sure I'm catching up on every entry.  Looking forward to those pics and I know they are going to be good.
Sonya