Friday, July 14, 2006

cheap motels

Because I'm a "bargain biddy", I hate to pay more for a motel room than necessary. 

It's no use Internet-shopping for the kind of motels we are looking for, because they're not there.

It was easy to find a cheap place to stay in Colorado Springs, because there are lots of older, individually-owned places from which to choose.  One of the worst things about these cheaper places is that they don't have coffee pots in their rooms, and most of them don't have coffee or breakfast in the morning.

We have our own cereal, fruit and milk for breakfast; but Cliff and I don't do well without our morning coffee.

At our first place, in Kansas, there was a convenience store nearby, which solved the caffeine dilemma.  Our second night, in Colorado Springs, I told the proprietor we'd keep looking until we found a motel with coffee in the rooms, and he loaned us a coffeepot.  Our third night was spent in Salida, and that was actually in a nice Econolodge, with Internet and all, for under $60.  Because Salida isn't really a tourist-trap sort of town yet, competition keeps motel prices reasonable.

The fourth night was spent in a tent in a campground at the south rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.  We brought a camp coffeepot on this trip, and borrowed our daughter's Coleman stove, so we were set there.

Last night we found this gem of a place.  It's obviously past its prime, but it's clean, and it smells nice.  AND it has Internet.  The one drawback?  No coffee in the room, and no coffee available in the breakfast room until 7:30.  How are we coping?

We brought the Coleman stove inside, and the coffeepot, and are doing just great, thank you very much!  The old gold miners in this area should have had it so good.  Our addictions must be maintained, and where there's a will, there's a way.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that breaks a lot of fire codes, but I would have done the same thing!  I hate having to wait for coffee.  Who waits until 7:30 for coffee???

Anonymous said...

lol, I agree aobut using cheap motels...but still w ant my coffee!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Gotta have that coffee!! LOL!
Pam

Anonymous said...

You GO girl !!  We have a little 4 cup electric travel coffee pot. And we use it just to heat water for instant soups, oatmeal and sometimes cocoa when we have kids with us.  We took it on our cross country trip in '87 when our girls were 16 and 12. It sure came in handy because the girls like instant oatmeal or cream of wheat. And they like the instant noodle cup o' soups. But most important was the morning coffee brewing. We usually pack it whenever we go....just in case. Glad you and Cliff are having such a great time. ENJOY !

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Cliff are having a good time!  I love the way you are able to improvise, and get the things you need~ lol   Never was much of a coffee drinker.. guess that's a good thing, sorta! :)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

One time we couldn't afford our gas bill and Rick brought in the coleman stove...been there LOL.  I hope you are havinf fun!!!!  We miss you! Barbara

Anonymous said...

LOL - you are a woman after my heart, I tell you....

Happy you are making some wonderful memories....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

amen to that; gotta have that morning brew myself. Very imaginative!

betty

Anonymous said...

Hey. I'm enjoying your comentary. Keep it up. I feel as if I may be riding along with you guys. So! Be careful dust the wheels off. Idon't want you loosing me [:^))

Anonymous said...

Happy you are enjoying your trip and of course your morning coffee.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh I'd HAVE to have my COFFEE in the mornings for sure.  And like the decaf in the hotel room at night...