Folks, believe this: No way will Cliff go to work without the doctor's approval; the place where he works won't allow him back without an all-clear from the physician. So if you thought he was going to sneak back without the doctor saying he can, that isn't going to happen.
Now, about the heat. Cliff said today that he likes to spend money too much to try and live on social security just yet. He said that in answer to my suggesting he take disabled social security. We'll have virtually no other retirement money coming in except social security, so it would clip our wings quite a bit if he had no job. Cliff does have a 401K plan, but he only started with that about 10 years ago. It'll soon be enough to pay off our place if we had to, or buy a brand new car (that isn't what we'd get though); not much retirement security. We'd also miss the wonderful insurance and other benefits he gets from his job... like the way he's drawing full pay right now while he's off work.
It's his decision, his risk. The doctor said the main danger of heat is that Cliff might pass out. Now, we've already had several days here in the 90's with no A/C. Cliff took it easy and made it just fine. They've been doing open heart surgery since the 1950's, and most folks I knew back then didn't even have A/C.
I believe God will guide us and show us what's best, and I'll trust Him to help Cliff make the right decision.
Remember the old hymn? "Be not dismayed whate'er betide; God will take care of you. Beneath His wings of love abide, God will take care of you."