Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I spent a day in limbo

I'm not as thankful as I should be for my health.  So when I get a little 24-hour bug that knocks me for a loop, it awakens me to the fact that I seldom get really sick.

I spent yesterday in bed, the result of either some intestinal flu or food poisoning (we ate at a fund-raiser at school Sunday).  I'm so glad to be feeling better this morning, albeit a little weak, and sore.

One of the notes that came with Sadie's instructions was that she needed some leash work.  Well, after a couple of walks around the pasture, she responds well to the leash.  But I absolutely could not get her to potty while on a leash; nope, she had to be turned loose before she could find the right spot.

Yesterday I knew there was no way I could chase her down if she ran off; so with coveralls and stocking hat on (it wasn't that cold, but I had chills and a fever), I persisted in walking her around until finally, she peed.  After just one success, she has had no more problem "going" while on the end of a leash.  We walk to the spot, she does her business, and we come in.  This little lady is a fast learner. 

She hasn't really been here long enough to know where the boundaries are, so she does tend to run away, and doesn't always come when I call; she's still learning her new name, after all.  Buddy is a major problem when he's here, because he tags her and runs off, expecting her to follow him to the woods like Mandy did .  So, a leash is in order.

Sadie seems to have kennel cough, so we may have to take her to the vet today for some antibiotics.  Other than that, she is settling in and doing well.   

 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna
I'm very glad to hear you and Saddie are settling in together nicely.  I hope her cough is nothing serious and that the rest of her training goes well.  As for you, I hope you kick this bug quickly and that it does not turn into something more serious.  Take care of yourself, too!
Sam

Anonymous said...

That little Sadie is a quick learner.  Hope you are feeling much better soon!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are back up to snuff!  Sadie really seems to be settling in well.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Sometimes grief lowers our immune system. Could be how your body let that bug take hold. But glad you are on the mend. Sadie sounds like a great dog.  I imagine she feels the same about you as you do about her. I see a great friendship blossoming.

Anonymous said...

Hope you soon get to feeling a lot better. Sadie seems to be a smart learner, Hope her cough soon goes away. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better.  The flu season is still with us.  I have been blessed so far and maybe it's because I got the flu shot.  But they say it doesn't cover all the bugs.  My beagles have to be on a leash all the time.  The male expeacially.  If he sees something he is off !  I've chased him around the block and it's not fun.  Take good care !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better today and that Sadie is coming along.

XXOO

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that Sadie is adapting. Hope you feel better soon!
Tess
http://journals.aol.com/tc01hm/FirstDigitalPhotos

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better. We had a "flu bug" in our family last week...It wasn't pretty! Sadie sounds as if she adapting to your routines...I only wish my dog was that smart. Good luck at the vet.
June

Anonymous said...

I just HATE being sick!!  I am like you and seldom do, and then when I am well again I tend to over do.  Don't over do today.  Glad you are feeling better.  I have loved getting your daily poems. Thanks Barbara

Anonymous said...

glad you are feeling better today; seems like Sadie is testing the ropes, learning the boundaries, etc. She'll get it since she has a good teacher in you.

betty

Anonymous said...

good you are going to a vet.. kennel cough can be very serious.. but it sounds like she is settling in nicely.  

Sorry you were so sick.. but glad it only lasted a day!  I hope you are feeling better today too

Anonymous said...

Hope you get to feeling better, I have no time to get sick!  So when I do, I fight it tooth and nail.  Get a retractable leash.  I have a Looooong one for Tip.  Its 24 foot long!  She is able to go and do her business without being right there with me.

Anonymous said...

Ihope that you are better today. Sadie will learn. I am glad she is a fast learner. Our poor dog is not learning at all. All that time on a short chain with a choke collar has made her a bit, actually a lot stupid.

Anonymous said...

Please do take care of yourself!  I'm glad Sadie is learning the ways.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon Mosie!  It seems you and your new addition are getting the crud together!  Take care of yourself!

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad to hear of your dog passing.  It brought tears to my eyes as it reminded me of my own dog's passing.  I wanted to get another but was advised not to by many people.  I miss the walks and the companionship.  I wrote the ten best things about my dog and I have that in my wallet and take it out to read from time to time.  It reminds me of the good times with her.  It looks like your new dog is a real sweetheart too.

Anonymous said...

Glad Sadie is getting use to you!!! Sounds like she is doing great!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

She's testing you.  Be a firm mom and please feel better soon.  I'm thinking of you, Mosie.

Love,
Russ