Friday, November 18, 2005

I remembered a song

Today I got set up to download songs to my computer from Walmart.com.  It's 88 cents per song; I won't be downloading that many songs, but when I think of some old tune I just have to have, I can get it legally there.

So after signing up, I was looking over a list of Bing Crosby songs and spotted, "Would You Like To Swing On A Star".  Thinking about the words, I knew my granddaughters would love it, and it was my very first download from Walmart.

I found the lyrics on the Internet, and as soon as Monica and Natalie got here from school, I played the song on Windows Media and we all sang along, reading the lyrics together.  It was a great sing-along, and I expect we'll do it again this evening before they leave for home.

               WOULD YOU LIKE TO SWING ON A STAR?

Would you like to swing on a star
carry moonbeams home in a jar
and be better off than you are
or would you rather be a mule

A mule is an animal with long funny ears
he kicks up at anything he hears
His back is brawny but his brain is weak
he's just plain stupid with a stubborn streak
and by the way if you hate to go to school
You may grow up to be a mule

Oh would you like to swing on a star
carry moonbeams home in a jar
and be better off than you are
or would you rather be a pig

A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
his shoes are a terrible disgrace
He has no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude
But if you don't care a feather or a fig
you may grow up to be a pig

Oh would you like to swing on a star
carry moonbeams home in a jar
and be better off than you are
or would you rather be a fish

A fish won't do anything but swim in a brook
he can't write his name or read a book
to fool the people is his only thought
and though he's slippery he still gets caught
but if then that sort of life is what you wish
you may grow up to be a fish
(music)
a new kind of jumped up slippery fish

And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo
everyday you see quite a few
so you see it's all up to you,
you could be better than you are
you could be swinging on a star

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

MO...that's great, the music downloads from Wal-Mart. But just so you know....I have many songs I've put on my computer from CD's I have, and from records that I have transferred to my computer in MP3 format. So check with me first before you buy any.  Would love to share with you.  

Anonymous said...

I downloaded some Christmas songs from Walmart last christmas. Then I put them on a Christmas cd. The Bing Crosby song is really funny. Helen

Anonymous said...

I sang that song in choir
Donna In TEXAS

Anonymous said...

LOL My son used to like this song too...he is going through a phase right now where he hates most music. Ah well.

Anonymous said...

love the old time singers best!  Bing, perry como, nat king cole.. and one of my all time favorites Dick Haymes!  Lord, that tells everyone how old I am! lol.. oh well.. i can't deny it lol

Anonymous said...

I bet he sings it better than Bruce Willis did in that thief movie...of course I can't remember the name of it, but it'll come to me.

Anonymous said...

I use Walmart all the time for song downloads
Love Bing!

Anonymous said...

Are these MP3 songs?
Just curious.  I need a legal way to get a few MP3 songs.  I think I will head over and check it out.
sonya