Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Here today, gone tomorrow

I believe the first message board I ever read regularly was "Tractor Tales" on the "Yesterday's Tractors" website... a site I had googled up  for Cliff, should he ever find the patience to sit at a computer for more than ten minutes.  I lurked, mostly... and laughed a lot.  It was like sitting in the corner of a men's locker room.  It didn't get too bawdy, though.  The guys would mention how "Miss Kim" would "skillet" them if things got too vulgur.

Kim, it seems, is the glue that holds the huge Yesterday's Tractors website together.  She moderates the many message boards there.  Until recently, she remained faceless, just a somebody who could magically make spam and filth disappear from a screen, and even totally block trolls from the site, if necessary.  She was a mysterious figure in the shadows, holding the skillet, ready to pounce.

Recently she started a blog.  Her picture is there, so she is no longer faceless.  She's been sharing some of the ins and outs of moderating the website, particularly the message boards.

Yesterday I went to read her latest entry and found a touching tribute to her sister... and a wakeup call for all of us, especially during this holiday season.  You can tell by the seventy comments on her entry that she touches many lives.  Please read THIS and let her touch yours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was sad but the things she said are true. Helen

Anonymous said...

It's unfornutately very true what she wrote.. too many judge others on "sight" alone, making wrong conclusions all the time.

I try hard to treat others as I would like to be treated.  Most of the time i am happy to say it's not really an effort.  At times I wind up regretting it, but thankfully not often!

http://journals.aol.com/deslily/HereThereandEverywhere/

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the link to her blog. What a touching tribute to her sister. Words to remember and words to live by.

betty

Anonymous said...

Oh geesh... now I'm crying again..  
That entry touched me deeply too, and I'm sure having read my journal as of late, you can understand why...

Jackie

Anonymous said...

OMG Mosie...I went and read and now I am sobbing for that poor lady that lost her baby sister...I tried to write a comment but I did not know her email so it did not go in..but I will say a prayer for her...her heart is broken and I feel so for her...I well understand how some people tend to treat the people that weigh aot....and also how they treat anyone that is "different from the norm"...I only hope that Cindy's death will help people see how they truly can hurt someone with their remarks or even by the way they look at them....just because people weigh more than the norm or look different does not mean they have no feelings, no heart, no soul....NO, it is the ones that makes the snide remarks etc. that have no heart, no feelings, no soul.
Thank you Mosie for sharing this...I hope we here in J-Land will not forget to offer up prayers tonight for this lady.
love ya,
Carlene

Anonymous said...

My gosh...her sister was the same age as me...and I'm morbidly obese too. It's just too scary to contemplate. 39 is too young to leave this earth.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute to her sister.