Thursday, November 17, 2005

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash

I want SO BADLY to see this movie (which, of course, means I will see it).

Johnny Cash was my favorite country singer for years.

One of the first country songs I learned to sing and chord along with on my guitar was "Folsum Prison Blues".

His was the first prime-time country music show on television, premiering in 1969, broadcast from the Ryman Auditorium.  He was brave enough to have people like Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan as guests.  And Ray Charles, and Mama Cass.

I tried to teach my two-year-old son to say, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash".  He'd say, "Hey-yo, I Cay-Cay".  Close enough.

I used to write corny country songs and send them to Johnny Cash, hoping he'd record them.  Of course, they were "returned-to-sender".  I loved him anyway.  I was so naive.

When we visited Nashville, we went to the "House of Cash", and saw the famous "One-Piece-At-A-Time" car.

He and his wife, June, sang and testified at many Billy Graham crusades.

In his later years, Johnny was cast aside and forgotten by Nashville, but he made some amazing recordings, just him, singing and strumming his guitar... an old, dying man, protesting the way he'd been tossed out.

Rest in peace, Johnny.  I hope the movie does your early years justice.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I always get chills when I hear 'Hello, I"m Johnny Cash.'  hee hee....  he was a looker in his day, for sure....

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I hope it does, too, because I'm going to see it, too!  If nothing else, the music will be worth it. Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

Oh how well I remember growing up to the music of Johnny Cash.  I'm not much of a movie goer but I am going to see this one.

Anonymous said...

G. is dying to see this. We watched the special on TV last night, and starting Thursday night CMT is doing a special about him also. I grew up with my Mom listening to Johnny.... and Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton.... you get the picture <g>

Anonymous said...

 Mo I hope you wil tell us what you think of the movie after viewing it.
 CBS  had a  special Wednesday night on His music. I enjoyed it as I to like JOhnny and June Carter Cash very much.
 Your sight is really cool with the extras you add.
Pink~

Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed hearing Johnny sing...but what comes to my mind Mosie...is your amazing ability for remembering all the old songs....boggles my mind...such a memory you have.....Hugs...Ora

Anonymous said...

I love him too...and that last song he made before he died...cant recall it now but it is great.  I think this will be a great movie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including the movie's poster in your entry.  That's some good graphic design!!   I want the poster more than I want to see the movie!!

Russ

Anonymous said...

Johnny Cash is very cool :)
I like the movie "A Gunfight"
with him and Kirk Douglas
I have another movie that I haven't watched yet
"The Last Days Of Frank And Jesse James"
with him, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
where's the popcorn? hehe

Anonymous said...

You always take me back in time - great memories of days long gone.  I can just hear him now-such a deep voice he had.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Everytime I go out to a bar, and there's a jukebox, I always make sure to play one Johnny Cash song. Man In Black rules.

Anonymous said...

I have heard nothing but good reviews on this movie!  They say that the move, and the actors, Reese Witherspoon (who play's June), and Joaquin Phoenix (who play's Johnny) are phenomonal in the parts!  
I can't wait to see it either!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

You aren't the only one who HAS TO SEE THAT MOVIE!  I will die if I don't see this movie. Okay, I won't die; but, I will be very sad and make those around me miserable. And, I just have to say   I love Janis Joplin!  I don't understand how so many people have either not heard of her or don't like her.
Cristina
http://journals.aol.com/kiplingcrissy/singlemomsjourney

Anonymous said...

My Dad used to listen to the man in black. I remember a lot of his songs. I want to see this movie too! I really don't know much about his life. He had a great voice, tho.