Monday, October 10, 2005

In answer to some comments

Ora's question:  Are you gonna get one of those "leather outfits" the other couple have??? 

Yes, we definately will, eventually.  "Leathers" are fairly expensive, but they can save some serious scrapes in a minor accident.  You can even get them with protective plastic pieces for elbows, knees, and other easily-broken places.  Besides, at this time of year they keep you warm.   

Tedndernoggle's question:  Do you have a favorite sweet potato pie receipe? I love sweet potato pie! 

I couldn't use my favorite recipe this weekend because there was no egg nog at the grocery store, so I used a recipe out of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  However, here is my very favorite, cut out of the Kansas City Star years ago:

BUCK BUCHANAN'S SWEET POTATO PIE

1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter,melted
1 1/3 cup sugar
3 T. Flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup egg nog
1 Tablespoon whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
preheat oven to 375. Peel, cook and mash sweet potatoes, measure out 1 1/2 cups. Mix with remaining ingredients and
pour into pie shell, bake 45 minutes till knife inserted midway between the center and rim comes out clean.
for additional flavor interest, experiment with other extracts, coconut, orange or pineapple extract for lemon extract.

Marainey's comment:  "... and I was glad to see the Helmets on the heads of all riding."

Missouri has a helmet law, but Cliff and I would wear them anyway.  We're old enough to have gained a little sense in our lives.  The safety factor is the main reason I want leathers, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you and Cliff will enjoy many hours and miles of happiness riding your "bike" in the next few years...keep safe and God Bless....Hugs...Ora  

Anonymous said...

Leathers are needed. That is why we went ahead and got some. We got the chaps. Large for me, small for Pat, LOL We already had jackets. They did not have any gloves that fit me. lol I need small and he needs large!

Anonymous said...

Like I said.. You are our own little "motorcycle mama"....only now with leathers! :)  
lol

Jackie

Anonymous said...

See what I get for reading your entries out of order??? I should have known that you already knew the main reason for wearing your leathers :)    Florida doesn't require a helmet, but G. does! I've never been allowed out on the street on either bike (his or mine) without my helmet, and he grumbles if I'm not in boots, jeans and jacket too!