Monday, July 25, 2005

"The Buck Stops Here"

When my Internet friends were visiting, and I decided we'd to to Truman Library, I made up my mind I was going to buy one of those signs like the one Harry had on his desk, in the presidential office... "The buck stops here".  I had seen them for sale years ago, and always wished I had bought one.

They had them for sale in the gift shop.  They are hand-made by prisoners, and the price for one is $55.  Needless to say, I came home empty-handed. 

"I'd pay $20, or even $25... but not $55!" I told whoever would listen.

After all my friends had gone home, I decided to check Ebay, and there it was!  At first I thought I was going to get it for $9, but it wasn't to be.  However, I paid under $25, shipping and all.  Included was a 100th-birthday commemorative, limited edition, 14-karat-gold piece with Truman's likeness on it.  The certificate of authenticity states that these were issued until May 8, 1985, after which the dies were destroyed.

I love bargains!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love bargains too! And you sure got one!!!
CArlene

Anonymous said...

'ya did GOOD, Donna !! :)

Anonymous said...

Good grief.........who would think they were THAT expensive?  You did good Mo!  Anne

Anonymous said...

Bargains???  ::as she grabs the car keys::  Where??? Do we leave now??