Thursday, May 19, 2005

health and welfare

Let's face it, aches, pains, and health concerns make for a boring journal.  So I'll try to update for both me and Cliff now, and hopefully it'll be the last you hear about that sort of stuff for a while; this is mainly for family members, so feel free to skip it.  How's my bruised leg?  Well, the black-and-blue is fading, only to be replaced by this huge, hard knot.  However, it doesn't cause me a lot of pain unless, as I did this morning while cleaning Blue's feet, I rest a horse's foot on that spot.  Wow!!!  What a burning sensation THAT was.  My energy level still isn't where it should be, but the pain decreases every day.

Cliff recently went to the doctor and found out his blood pressure was drifting higher, so they doubled his Altace.  He still takes Toprol, too.  The level of his good cholestorol is only 30, and they like it to be at least 60; so he'll be taking a pill to improve that.  I asked the doctor if this is one of those pills that cause liver damage, and it isn't.  While we were there, Cliff mentioned his allergies:  He's been sneezing, snotting and hacking for months, and it was beginning to get very tiring, both for him AND the people around him.  Allegra has now almost totally solved that problem!  Oh, and he's lost 18 pounds in the last 2 1/2 weeks, with my help.  

Now to the other part of this entry:  I officially resigned my job today.  The almost-five years I worked at Kohls distribution center has been a delightful part of my life.  Since I haven't spent as much time working outside the home as most married women, the unaccustomed  money was an "extra".  I flew around the country like a jet-setter.  I did things to spoil my grown children and my husband.  I bought computers, a Gibson guitar, a horse, and various useless toys.  It's been grand.  I had hoped to stay there as a part-time employee until I turned 62.  However, I happened to have a supervisor who changed all the part-time rules, and worked me very little.  So little that there was no way I could get in enough hours to become fully vested (which had been one of my reasons for staying on a while longer).

So now, I imagine my vacations will consist of nice, long horseback rides through the lovely Missouri countryside, or spending nights in my cabin in the woods.  It's OK:  To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.  I've learned that if you don't fight things like this, you usually find out it was for the best.  Meanwhile, I'm very thankful for all the things I've been able to do with my little paychecks... not to mention the assortment of co-workers I've met, and the two kind and thoughtful supervisors I had before the last unhappy, people-hating boss. 

I celebrate this bend in the road, and look forward to the future.

"Because He lives I can face tomorrow, because He lives all fear is gone.  Because I know He holds the future... my life is worth the living just because He lives."

                                                                                                 Bill and Gloria Gaither

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you could "help" me loose 18 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks.  I would be happy to loose 18 pounds in 2 1/2 months.   I haven't been able to loose 18 pounds in 2 1/2 years.   LOL  

Seasons....it's all about seasons of our lives.  And you are right to let one season go and step boldly into the next.

Anonymous said...

You are such a great example. I love how you look at things with such a positive attitude. A bend in the road. Yes, and to everything there is a season. Its wonderful to go with the flow of life. Have a wonderful retirement you have such a great place no need to run off to some strange place, that IS a retirement place right there where you are.  Happy trails !!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Mo, Let's have a retirment dinner, shall we?   Anne

Anonymous said...

Think it's freat that you're gonna do YOUR THING!! rich

Anonymous said...

HI yes, I know what you mean about talking about medical stuff.  LOL  All that has been in my journal lately.  

Oh, I hope you are ok with all the job stuff.  Things can be aggrivating sometime.  People can also be difficult to work with.  But you have so much at home that keeps you happy, so you should be just fine.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Congratulations  :)

Anonymous said...

How I will miss our daily adventures on the drive to and from work!! I am happy for you. Congrats to Cliff for losing 18 pounds. Since you and Cliff and the kids move here you have been part of my life somehow or someway but these last couples of years has meant so much to me. Once again thanks for your humor and wisdom and keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Medical stuff is a main part of your life when you reach 50 and older! lol
Glad to know that you are on the mend!
Lord I wish I could quit work!!! As it is I will be working til dooms day to pay off medical ( there's that word again! hehe!) bills!
I like that hymn too. We sing it at our church.
Take care,
Carlene

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the retirement, even if you have bitter sweet feelings on it. And I may be a total nervous nelly, but have a Doc check out that knot in your leg (my brain was built on medical dramas and horror novels and it's screaming blood clot.) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good news on the weight lose!(for Cliff) Someone said something about a possible blood clot. Possible. More than likely it is where the muscle tore from the kick. Make sure that there is no coldness in the area below the knot. Best thing is heat and stretching exercises.

Anonymous said...

Great song by Bill and Gloria Gaither! -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink