Monday, April 4, 2005

to see your house as others see it

My getaway cabin will be at the end of that farthest point, before the hill drops off to nowhere.  Cliff hasn't figured out yet how he'll get the tractor out, once he hauls the cabin over there.  But where there's a will, there's a way.  Now, on to my subject.

A long-time Internet friend of mine, Lori, saw a picture of the outside of my house in this journal and commented that she wondered what the inside looked like.  Months went by, but the other day I decided to let her see the inside of my house, warts and all.  (Not the upstairs though... there are areas there that are more like a cancer than a wart!)

So, I took pictures of the entry hall, the bathroom, the kitchen and the living room from many different angles (I haven't forgotten the bedroom Lori; it's just that when I'm in a picture-taking mood, Cliff is always in there sleeping).  Lori sent me some pictures of her home, too. 

We agreed on this:  Taking pictures of your living quarters motivates you to clean house.

But the interesting thing, to me, was the way just looking at a picture can make you see things you hadn't noticed before.  For instance, the first part of my house anyone sees when they enter is my laundry area and hallway, and what an awful first impression it makes!  It isn't dirty, thanks to Flylady.  But it looks dark and cluttered.  Living in the country in Missouri means you must have coats and coveralls handy for any kind of weather, because it can be 70 degrees one day and zero the next.  We have no coat closet.  In fact, we have one tiny bedroom closet between the two of us.  That's it, folks!  So there's an assortment of jackets and coats hanging along the hallway, and boots on a shelf above the washer and dryer.  Taking those pictures has  made me want to actually DO something about my hall situation.

Even more interesting is the fact that, by george, my kitchen and living room don't look so bad.  I could tell you everything that is wrong with the way my house is set up, butthere are things I love all around me, and it looks and feels like home to me.  That's the up-side.

So, here's what you need to do:  Get your digital camera and take pictures from all angles, then look at them as though you were seeing your house for the first time.  You'll notice things you've never seen before, both good and bad.  Then you can be thankful for the good things, and figure out how to change the bad ones.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great place to spend a day in the woods.
I'll be looking forward to reading about the new "home away from home".  

Anonymous said...

I just went to an open house down the street yesterday...same floor plan as mine and boy did I get a surprise. I need to CLEAN!!!   Anne

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how we always love to see how other people live, decorate, clean (or don't...lol)  Maybe that's why so many decorating magazines are so successful...(I know I subscribe to three of them...lol)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I haven't taken any indoor pictures of my house since we first moved in--and there've been some serious changes since then (and some things that really needed to be changed, haven't been). Interesting idea! If I can get my digicam to operate. . .
I was thinking about going morel hunting today--but The Plumber just showed up to replace my sewer line, so I'll be stuck here most of the day--and besides, it's probably too dry right now for the 'shrooms to be up.
The picture makes me sad I have to sell the farm. But right now, we just can't afford to keep it. But maybe someday. . .

Anonymous said...

Such a good idea.  I always do something similar when we have company.  I will imagine seeing it through their eyes.  I always get more cleaned and rearranaged that way.  Also, when you come back from vacation, you tend to notice the eye sores more.  LOL!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool place for your cabin! Maybe Cliff can 'back it in' rather than pull it??? Or maybe put it on logs/rollers and roll it in place?? You are soooo going to enjoy it once it is set up. Are you going to put a small corral up for the horses so you can ride up??
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

This would be a good photo challenge...post photos of the interiors of our homes. LOL I think I'll suggest it to my favorite photo challenge gal.

Anonymous said...

This looks like the ideal spot....I bet there is a beautiful view on the other side, huh?!!!
Carlene

Anonymous said...

Great idea! rich

Anonymous said...

Hi there!  I found your journal through Sonya's and love the spot you have chosen for your cabin!  I am a FlyBaby too and a Christian mom.  I have enjoyed your journal and will stop by again!  Here's mine: http://journals.aol.com/tamntheboyz/LifewiththeBoyz
Blessings,  tam