Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I deliberately put Blue's ears in pictures taken on my rides.  He shares all this with me, and I want people to realize he's there.  I noticed today that he can identify the shape of another horse at a far distance.  Sometimes he'll catch the scent of a horse before he sees it, and whinnie excitedly.  Today, though, it was too windy for him to catch any scents.  I noticed some wind damage to farmers' sheds caused by our recent storm.  One metal barn had been completely torn off its foundation and left in a heap.

If you could have seen the gardens I raised for the first twenty-five years of my marriage, you'd be amazed at the size of the one I have this year.  I used to can green beans and beets, and freeze quarts of sweet corn and pints of peas.  I made lucious watermelon pickles.  It saved us money on the food bill, and I enjoyed doing it.

Once the kids left home, though, I'd can things and they'd sit there for years.  Cliff and I found it made more sense to buy our canned goods at the store, rather than produce them ourselves.  I planted small crops:  a row or two of green beans to eat fresh-picked, a few radishes for early spring enjoyment.  I always continued to set out lots of tomato plants.  I "put up" tomatoes even when I'd stopped all other canning.  After I got my present job, five years ago, I stopped all canning.  Still, I planted far too many tomatoes, just so I could share them with co-workers.  And share I did.

Well, this year, I planted only enough tomatoes for us, and perhaps our daughter.  Here's my garden for 2005:

There are five tomato plants and four pepper plants.  We've already caged everything because of my "wonder dog" Mandy, and her friend Buddy.  They'd undoubtedly have it all destroyed, otherwise. 

That vast, plowed area behind my garden is my mushroom neighbor, Marvin's, sweet corn plot.  He's on disability now, and hopes to make some extra money with a truck garden.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horses are so intelligent and so beautiful, thanks for showing us his ears.  Wish I had the space you have.  I used to grow lots of things as well but with just Mike and I, it got a bit pointless, we could not eat it all and could not give it all away so I do not bother now although we do miss the home grown.  I have toyed with trying again but with my health problems and aches and pains, I do not think I can manage and Mike has never had any idea lol.  You will have to take another piccie as your crops progress.

Anonymous said...

I love country roads. I liked your pictures, especially no.4. Those ears just sets it off. I am wondering if that red tick bite spot is getting any smaller now that you are on the antobotics. Hope so. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'd give an arm, a leg and maybe a tooth for some of your 'maters Mosie.  As a kid, I would pick them from my Daddy's garden and sit on the back stoop with a salt shaker and enjoy them, warm from the sun...............oh my.............memories.

Nanner

Anonymous said...

I should have you talk to my MIL. She has WAY too much garden for one sweet old lady to manage. ;-) But I sure do love her swiss chard pie and fresh zuccini.

Anonymous said...

The top photo looks like a painting!  I love to garden, not very good at it.  Since I will be moving in a few weeks, I am unable to start a garden as of yet. Moving up North, so there may be time still.  Do you know anything about Red Pepper jelly?  Hot red pepper jelly.  I love it.  I might grow peppers again and give it a try.

Anonymous said...

I'm so ready for May.  Not going horseback riding until May 22nd, our family is going up to North Georgia in the mountains, we love riding up there in all that beauty.  My mom used to have two horses but her and Ray sold them a couple years ago.  I sure miss them.

Derek

Anonymous said...

Hubby's garden is small too.  He's got an herb garden and a pepper garden going.  Just a little small patch.  His Dad grows tomatoes and we generally have a lot from them.  We also buy from the menonites.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will get a few ears of his sweet corn too. Your garden looks great. I wish I had one like it but I always fill mine with flowers now days and stick a tomato plant among them.  Sandra