Friday, April 29, 2005

A Horse of a Different Color

We spent $30 on a riding helmet, so Natalie's head will be protected when she rides Blue.  I guess that isn't too high a price for peace of mind... and the knowledge that she won't be quite so easily hurt, in the event of an accident. 

Cliff and I usually don't like the same stores when we shop:  He likes Clark Tool, or Sears.  I like WalMart, Sams Club, and Kohls.  But there is one place we both enjoy, and browse to our hearts' content.  Tractor Supply!  Cliff looks at all the farm-related stuff, tools, and such.  I love looking at the dozens of horse items.  Besides the riding helmet, I got Blue's next round of wormer and a new mane-and-tail comb, one with wide teeth.  Oh, and a sack of All-stock (feed for Blue). 

After doing our grocery shopping, we went to look at the horse I mentioned before.  She's a registered Foxtrotter, four years old.  A lovely dun mare (I forgot to take the camera).  BUT... she's too much horse for this old lady.  She was obviously scared to death when we approached, snorting and jumping back.  We saddled her, and I did get on.  But she refused to head away from the other horse waiting back in the pen.  I decided not to force the issue.  The lady who owns her assured us that she's ridden this horse quite a bit, back last summer.  She's just always ridden with the other horse beside her.

They're asking $1,200.  I'm sure they'd go down to $1,000.  It would be nice to have a mare, and the possibility of a colt in our future.  However, I'd need to spend money having someone work with her.  That could make her a mighty expensive investment.  I think I'll pass.

Besides, there's a huge Jersey sale in Seneca, Kansas, next weekend.  Jersey cows aren't as likely to hurt an old woman.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still have that Jersey cow on your mind don't you. LOL. Might as well go on to the sale & find you a lovely one. Helen

Anonymous said...

And they give milk! that was a good price! i need to go there. Brook needs a new helmet.

Anonymous said...

Tractor Supply is certainly my favorite store too even though I don't have a horse anymore I love to look at all the supplies and dream.  The 4 year old sounds a bit young and inexperienced and I never liked horses that got into the habit of only wanting to be ridden when a buddy is along.  I did most of my riding alone but have seen several horses that almost refused to leave the barn area because they didn't have their buddy with them. Now unless you try to put a saddle on that Jersey cow she ain't going to throw you lol.  

Anonymous said...

::sniff sniff::  :(

Anonymous said...

I BOUGHT TWO BLUE ROAN MARES AND ONE HAS HAD A FOAL THE OTHER IS EXPECTING AND I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WAS COMPLICATING MY LIFE...IT SEEMS I AM SO BUSY THESE DAYS. I RARELY HAVE TIME TO RIDE. I HAVE FOURTEEN RGISTERED GORGEOUS HORSES I AM TRYING TO FIND A GOOD HOME FOR ...SOMEONE WHO WILL LOVE THEM AND RIDE THEM AND I WOULD MAKE THIS A GIFT. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED EMAIL COURTENAYMPHELAN