Monday, February 21, 2005

Mandy

Mandy has been licking her sore foot a lot.  This shows the gash pretty clearly.  It's such a clean cut, I think it must have been caused by glass or something with a knife-like edge.  Anyhow, she's using all four feet again, when she walks.  And she's acting downright perky. 

I haven't seen her little pal, Buddy, all day.

It's a funny thing about Buddy:  Shortly after we got Mandy, Marvin's kids brought this hound puppy home.  I was trying so hard to keep Mandy on our property... tying her up, putting her in her pen when we left and at night, keeping her inside when I was home.  But Marvin, as with all the dogs his family ever had, really didn't care where their dog went.  So, Buddy was over here a lot.  There was a like-minded puppy here to play with, and he needed that.  I fumed.  I fretted.

And then one day I realized, Buddy was the best thing that could have happened to Mandy.  With a playmate so nearby, she isn't tempted to run far away.  They wear one another out playing, which works off a lot of Mandy's excess energy.

Each morning when Cliff goes out to chore, Buddy is waiting on the front porch, and bounds out to the barn ahead of Cliff so he'll be right there to greet Mandy when she's freed from her pen.

I buy dog biscuits:  pricey one for Mandy, cheap dollar-store ones for Buddy.  I holler at them, "Hey kids, I have cookies," and here they come.  It's cute.  I don't know why it took me so long to figure out Buddy was a gift to us all.  I still don't pet him... but I don't shoo him off.  And he has four kids in his family that will pet him all he needs.

I wonder why I haven't seen him today. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope he is alright. Do you think that something happened to him? Maybe at the same time Mandy was hurt?

Anonymous said...

Hi.  Mandy!!!!  Get better soon.  (Thanks for showing us the pic! Bless her heart!)

Anonymous said...

Not on the subject although I do wish Mandy a quick recovery but I was wondering if you garden at all?  Just curious!

Anonymous said...

I hope mandy and buddy didn't get into a trap or anything like that...and buddy may be still in it??? Hope Mandy gets better, that looks like a bad cut,
Carlene

Anonymous said...

Mo, I have been gone for a few days and was glad to catch up on your trip. Looks and sounds like a good time was had by all, except Mandy. I do hope she gets to feeling better. I just worry about animals so much. Keep us posted.  Anne

Anonymous said...

Mandy looks so like one of our dogs.  I hope her foot gets better really soon and I hope that Buddy turns up. I am worried about him now in case something happened to them both.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/Family