Thursday, September 30, 2004

Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #27: There are 12 months in the year. Which is your favorite? Give us one good reason why.

"And what is so rare as a day in June?  Then, if ever, come perfect days."  James Russell Lowell

June means school's out, vacations may be taken, calves are following their mothers out in the field.  The corn and soybeans are up and well started.  The trees are still a deep green.  Home gardens are in their prime, before the weeds take over.  June, the month of June bugs and fireflies:  My favorite!

Extra Credit: Which month comes in second?

July!!!  My birthday is in July, and Independence Day, which is a great holiday.  My son comes to visit from Georgia, and we have quite a family reunion.  Now that I think of it, it's a tossup as to which is my favorite... June or July.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quote from James Russel Lowell. Your entry made actually rethink my dislike of summer... well actually I like summer well enough I'm just not designed to enjoy it as much as some. Between asthma and allergies I spend much of the summer months wheezing and sneezing. However, your visions of the crops coming up, new life venturing forth, and fireflies dancing through the evening hours brings back fond memories. Plus June is my oldest daughter's birthday, and July my wife's birthday ... always causes for joy and celebration.
Please, feel welcome to come on over to my journal and read about my favorite month. Take care and be well.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting tribute to June!  I have never quite thought of it that way!  I will look at it differently from now on.  -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink