Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Our Last Day At The Fair

President Bush looks a bit pale here, doesn't he?

The first thing we did on Saturday, our last day at the fair, was window-shop for a tractor we thought Cliff would like.  Here's the one we chose (never mind the fact that you could barely turn this rig around on our 42 acres, or that it costs more than our place is worth)

Then we found the spot for the Adriatic tiger show and got a good seat on the bleachers, because it attracts a huge crowd. 

These big cats are amazing!  They cuddle up with their trainer like pussycats before the show.  (It's also amazing how much they can poop... and how much it stinks!  And they frequently mark their territory by spraying... the girls and I said, "Eeewwwww" several times.)  Unlike last year's big-cat show, these were well-trained, and put on a good show. 

We saw Professor Farquar for the second time during our visit.  He performs a vaudeville-type act in the Mo-Ag Theater, with songs, jokes, and a bit of magic.  I've been watching him for at least ten years now, and he's always enjoyable.  Monica asked to sit on the front row, while Natalie chose to take off her shoes and play in the big tractor-tires full of corn and soybeans (it's like sandboxes, only with grain instead of sand). 

Farquar asked for a volunteer for his magic act, and Natalie, with chocolate ice cream around her mouth, barefoot and covered with corn-dust, volunteered from far back.  Perhaps not the tidiest assistant he ever had, but certainly willing.

After that we saw a wonderful group of street entertainers, The Procrastinators:  These college-age guys made music with drumsticks, empty Culligan-bottles and old pots and pans. 

On our way back to the camper, we ran into a robot that must have been nine or ten feet tall; I wanted to take a picture of him with the girls, but they were scared of him... so the only photo I got was his backside, retreating in the distance.

I've only hit the high spots of our three-day adventure at the fair:  we watched a cooking demonstration, petted a live snake, talked to Otto the talking car, and so many more things.  It was a busy and fun time for me and my granddaughters.  I hope I'm able to do this until they reach the age where the fair no longer interests them; and that will happen, as it has with other grandchildren.  So I'll enjoy it while I can.



No comments: